Picked Up an Atlas 7B Shaper!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked Up an Atlas 7B Shaper!

I've wanted a small shaper for a long while now and recently found one that wasn't too far from home. It's an Atlas 7B shaper and seems to be complete. It is on the factory stand and has all of the belt covers, the factory vise, the wrench that fits the vise and all of the adjustments, and everything is in working order. It was apparantly stored near some woodworking machinery as it has a little sawdust on it but I believe it will clean up very good.

Last edited by japcas; 10-18-2011, 09:44 PM.
    Jonathan P.

Looks like a good pick. Good on you.

Ross
    GUNS Don't kill people
    Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

You got the original stand,too. Those are nice looking little machines.

Comment

Nice looking shaper,real nice to have all the covers.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Very nice machine. looks like the knee feed mechanism had been replaced with new parts, so all should be good there. I have had had one of these for years and it's a fun and very usefull machine to have in a home shop where odd "one offs" are the common rule. It may not be " high production" but with zero cost tooling it's very versitile. Be sure that the installed on-off switch is in place and works, this is used in conjunction with downward pressure on the belt tensioning lever to act as a ram jog brake. This neat feature may not be readily apparent to a new user.
          Joe B

Comment

Drool!

Very nice find. Well done.

Comment

Lots of places to find manuals for these but if you can't find one let me know.

Comment

Covers, heck.......... They are almost a nuisance....... but HE got the VISE with it........

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

I have one of those vises. But,it is for their milling machine.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCB
                    Be sure that the installed on-off switch is in place and works, this is used in conjunction with downward pressure on the belt tensioning lever to act as a ram jog brake. This neat feature may not be readily apparent to a new user.
                    Joe B
                    It does have the brake built in to the clutch lever. I do need to get some new belts and make an adjustment to them as it wants to crawl when the motor is on even with the clutch lever in the down position.

He gave me 2 manuals with the shaper also so I'm all set. I also found a copy of the southbend shaper manual that I'm using for reference also.
                    Jonathan P.

Comment

Originally posted by gwilson
                      I have one of those vises. But,it is for their milling machine.
                      ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Do you mean YOURS is for the mill?

Because the one in the OPs pics is definitely the shaper vise........ The mill vise has 2 screw hold-down to the table.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

I too have been watching for the same unit.

Man that thing looks complete and in very good shape, even the paint.

Comment

No,yours has a 4 bolt base for shaper. Mine has a 2 bolt base for a mill. Otherwise the same vise.

My first mill was an Atlas. Saved the vise. I had an Atlas shaper we got on trade at work,but I traded it off. I wish I had kept it as it is a very beautiful little machine,and probably a lot more effective than the Atlas lathe or mill,but I have a larger shaper. I'd sell my shaper,as I have 3 milling machines plus slotting heads,and never use it.
                          Last edited by gwilson; 10-19-2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I'm considering painting it back to the original gray color, I'm not too fond of green. But I think it should clean up good even if left green.
                            Jonathan P.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!! You lucky bloke! Have fun with it---it's a great little teacher!

Al

Comment

Working...
                              X