Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Income earning capacity of a home shop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Income earning capacity of a home shop...

Hypothetical at this time....

Many countries that provide an old age pension carry out a means test to determine eligibility then adjust the pension according to assets and income earning ability. This puts rather a damper on someone who is building a dream home shop to enjoy a comfortable hobby retirement if the PTB decide you should be making widgets for sale instead of model trains for the grandchildren.

At least in this country, one of the 'marks' of a commercial shop is the installation of 3 phase power. Just something to keep in mind.

One of the advantages of living in Germany. We all have access to 3 phase electrical. I am not sure about the houses in the city though. But every farm has three phase. At least every one that I have ever been on.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

...so bring in single phase and hide a RPC under the workbench.

Comment

..if the PTB decide you should be making widgets for sale instead of model trains for the grandchildren..
        You mean they can really do that???

Here in the States they means test income, not ability. If you make over a limit they start reducing your Social Security if you start drawing it before age 65 or so.
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
          You mean they can really do that???
          Not yet, maybe, but I dont trust politicians!

Here in the States they means test income, not ability. If you make over a limit they start reducing your Social Security if you start drawing it before age 65 or so.
          If you look at the Australian system, for example, they 'deem' assets to have income earning capability.

Comment

If you look at the Australian system, for example, they 'deem' assets to have income earning capability.
            They do that here too. In this case, the local government taxes it as property -if- you use it to make an income. Well, if you have a business. You don't have to make a profit to still be taxed on business property.

It seems that other people feel that they are entitled to the fruits of your labors.

Comment

They do that here too. In this case, the local government taxes it as property -if- you use it to make an income. Well, if you have a business. You don't have to make a profit to still be taxed on business property.
              .....and 3 phase power can be used as one of the indicators of a 'business' operation.

It seems that other people feel that they are entitled to the fruits of your labors.
              ...or to put it another way, "It seems that some people do not like you enjoying the fruits of their labours when you have the ability to earn for yourself."

Comment

...or to put it another way, "It seems that some people do not like you enjoying the fruits of their labours when you have the ability to earn for yourself."
                Yep. Not unreasonable, but in the case of Social Security and such, something I have been taxed for all my life, on every dollar I ever earned, and sometimes double taxed, (I was self-employed for 18 years, and some of my present income is double taxed) I would like to see some of it back eventually. But, alas:

..The notion is that those who are successful must in fairness contribute to the welfare of those who tried and failed, and also those who never tried at all. That's fairness. -Jerry Pournelle

edit:
                .....and 3 phase power can be used as one of the indicators of a 'business' operation.
                I never had 3-phase, but I paid a fair share of business taxes.

Comment

I would like to see some of it back eventually. But, alas:
                  Me too, that is why I am not going to give anyone any indication that I have the means to earn more than I really do.

Comment

Reeks a little of this: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need. Karl Marx

I'm afraid that when I need what I've worked and saved for, "society" will say its my duty to help all those who didn't have the ability (or desire, gumption, energy) to do so. My worry is in the case of the ant and grasshopper, the grasshopper won't die because he was to busy having a good time, rather society will kill the ant and take his stuff cause he had the ability to work hard. Then again I'm probably just being paranoid.

Comment

If you want three phase then just get a 3phase fridge and dryer and washer. And before you doubt it they make all in 3 phase you just have to look hard. Then just run it to the garage.

Comment

My neighborhood doesn't have three phase available. Even if it did, the power company won't drop it into a residential property. I've made do very well with an RPC. Someday perhaps a VFD....

A clarification: in the quote in my previous post from Jerry Pournelle, he was speaking with some irony.

Comment

My neighborhood doesn't have three phase available. Even if it did, the power company won't drop it into a residential property. .

So it seems then, that at least in your neighbourhood, that 3 phase power might be taken as an indicator of 'non residential' activity.

Comment

Originally posted by Okuma2540
                            If you want three phase then just get a 3phase fridge and dryer and washer. And before you doubt it they make all in 3 phase you just have to look hard. Then just run it to the garage.

No, I dont want 3 phase power, I am just pointing out that 3 phase power is one of the indicators that might be used to determine if your workshop was a domestic facility or if it has commercial potential.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger
                              No, I dont want 3 phase power, I am just pointing out that 3 phase power is one of the indicators that might be used to determine if your workshop was a domestic facility or if it has commercial potential.
                              As mentioned the gov here tests means,not potential.Testing potential is just a means to justify more clipboard carrying government leeches.

My father for example can legally make $38,000/year+his SS retirement before anything is questioned.How he makes it and what he does with it they could care less.

Sounds like you Kiwi should get your Nazis under control,otherwise shortly a small garden in your yard might get your pension cut since you have the potential to be a farm
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X