Painting my Rivett lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting my Rivett lathe

The Rivett lathe I got last week was painted a light pee green. The last paint job must have been a quickie, because not much preperation was done. The paint was peeling off in areas. It looks like the original color was light brown. I am stripping off all the old paint. So now what color should I paint my lathe? I was thinking of a light grey. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Any thoughts on the brand of paint? Stan

Would you paint a 1937 Indian Chief anything but original color? The Rivett is in that class.

Comment

I'm doing my 100 year old ATW radial drill in a medium/dark grey. The original was a dark green, but I didn't care for it. Someone had repainted a lighter green, but as you mentioned, little prep time meant that it was mostly peeled off.

Not sure what you are doing for paint prep...I used electrolysis to strip all the old paint, grease, oil, bondo, etc. off. (Just dumped the tank for winter actually and found 3 inches of sludge in the bottom!) After the electrolysis, I wiped the parts down with CLR (tried the no-name version, but it didn't work as nice), then 2 coats of Rustoleum TremClad Light Grey Primer, followed by 2 coats of Rustoleum TremClad Dark Grey. Bolts, etc. are getting the primer followed by Gloss Black.

Andrew

Comment

PixMan. You may be right. I would not paint my Indian motorcycle anything than original colors. I am going for the light brown like it was from the factory. Becides I saw enough grey while I was in the Navy. Stan

Comment

I hope it's PEA green,not PEE green!!

Comment

It is Pee green. Stan

Comment

Take your lathe to a urologist!!!!!!

Comment

Na, piss on that.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by 1937 Chief
                  Any thoughts on the brand of paint? Stan
                  anything but the home despot/hardware store crap. its a tough paint that'll stand up to chips and coolant....imo not worth doing unless you go all out send it out for a two part epoxy or something. Otherwise with tremco or armour coat crap it'll look just like when you started in 6 months.

Comment

All machines are supposed to be gray. No exceptions!

...well, unless it's army, then it can be OD, or desert tan camo.

Comment

Ok I'll bite. If it was me, for a fine machine like a Rivett, I would use a 2 part Acrylic Urethane, such as Deltron. Do a bang up show car prep, with a concours paint job to dazzle the eyes. Deltron is nasty stuff but tough, and mistakes can be wet sanded and polished out. A beautiful restoration might just save it from the scrap pile in the future.
                      Last edited by daryl bane; 10-27-2011, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I suggest machinery light grat - the standard color but paint it what you like.

Beofore you spend a fortune in claylized paint consider a machine tool is to be used and when used peoperly chip passage will wear off paint right to the bare metal. I suggest a paint that's easily prepped and touched up.

For that reason I strongly suggest a plain alkyd enamel for the color coats, over a good bonding primer, over metal that's been phosphoric acid etched/prepped. There is no need to go to bare metal wherever the underlying system is sound. If you have irregularities to fill use recently purchased catylized epoxy automotive filler.

Anyway, it's a machine tool not furniture.. A handsome paint job is a by-product of workmanlike painting not a goal in itself.

Comment

The tractor paint sold at Tractor Supply Hardware is pretty tough and available in colors other than Yellow,Red,Green,Blue, and Orange.
                          James Kilroy

Comment

Working...
                          X