No announcement yet.

LeBlond Regal 15x32, any drawbacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Le blonde was always Thrud's (I.E our pal Dave Smith)favourite lathe god bless the poor lad. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger
      Keep the Grizzly too, with a better shop you will embarque on more ambitous projects and times will come when you have a job mounted on the 'good' lathe and there is something you need that can be quickly done on the other. Just my opinion of course.
      Absolutley, I've come across situations like that several times wanting an extra lathe and mill.
      I want to keep it if I can find room.
      Keep the Jet 4VS mill too if I can.

I posted this before, but this is my little shop at work. There's a small old (heavy!) Jet 12" bandsaw with welder just off to the left of the picture.
      I really like that little saw... Tough to find a heavy built 12" vertical bandsaw with welder on it now it seems. That thing is a little tank.

There's some room for the BP where I was standing to take this pic. There's parts storage area behind the benches, so I'm hoping I can consolidate parts and move the benches back a ways to room for the Leblond.
      Last edited by T.Hoffman; 10-26-2011, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by .RC.
        Looks like Sir John was right all along, they really are worthless....
        Ouch, not nice.

Comment

It's just a pile of old scrap, & some the paint is scrached.... put them on some pallets & ship them to me for safe disposal, I'll even take the BP (but don't tell sir john)
          John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Hmmmm, depending on the background of your PTB they might find it hard to comprehend why they should spend money putting the old stuff where you already have that very nice new, shiny, equipment in your shop!

Comment

If they don't want to pay for the move, offer to take it off their hands for $$$. They get a little $$$ instead of an expense and you get a nice piece of equipment to take home for dirt cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger
                Hmmmm, depending on the background of your PTB they might find it hard to comprehend why they should spend money putting the old stuff where you already have that very nice new, shiny, equipment in your shop!
                Exactly. The Jet mill and Griz lathe are about three years old now, I keep it in pristine condition so it does look brand new yet.

But I can certainly see how the uppers around here might say, "Hey that stuff down there is fairly new. Why should we pay to get stuff that is 40yrs old?!?"

Entirely possible for that to be the case, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Boostinjdm
                  If they don't want to pay for the move, offer to take it off their hands for $$$. They get a little $$$ instead of an expense and you get a nice piece of equipment to take home for dirt cheap.
                  Doesn't work that way here. If we don't transfer the equipment to our dept, it goes to a central building for our work complex called Investment Recovery.

Once items are in IR, they are estimated for value and then they are available for purchase to the general public. And they want way overpriced amounts for equipment. Last I saw a Jet round column mill/drill on a stand, bearings were not good, table had several abuses to it, and the price for that was $1500.

I pointed out I could buy a nice used BP on Craigslist for around $2k. Doesn't matter, that's the price. I suppose if they don't sell it in a long time the price may be adjusted down, but I rarely bother going over there to see what's around because CL is a much better route to go to find personal deals.

So either I get it free for my shop at work, or watch it get priced for probably $5k or more in investment recovery.
                  Last edited by T.Hoffman; 10-26-2011, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Too bad that's their policy. That really would be the ultimate tool gloat for a home shop.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by T.Hoffman
                      Doesn't work that way here. If we don't transfer the equipment to our dept, it goes to a central building for our work complex called Investment Recovery.
                      So.....um.....wouldn't they still be paying for the rigging? Just as well move it to where it can be put to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Boostinjdm
                        So.....um.....wouldn't they still be paying for the rigging? Just as well move it to where it can be put to use.
                        Our company is so large, there are numerous departments that each have their "operating budget".
                        If we want the machines, our dept pays for the move and connect.
                        If we don't take the machines, the current owning dept will have to pay for the move to IR.

It's all 'funny money' as we call it, yes we all work under the same umbrella of the company but individual departments are very protective of their own individual budgets....

If my dept doesn't want to pay for the move, it will be because they don't want to spend the $700-900 out of our budget for it.
                        If we decline taking the machinery, our dept won't be spending any of our budget. Some other dept will be using their budget for the move.

I'm almost tempted to offer to throw in some of my own personal money towards the move to make it happen.... I really want this stuff for my shop!
                        Last edited by T.Hoffman; 10-26-2011, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Some of the management making this yes/no decision on my potential equipment really have no idea what this stuff even is.
                          One of the people, as nice as she is, has been down in my shop once in the last five years.

So the email of my sales pitch was aimed at the management with little to no knowledge of what this stuff is, what it does, or how it would improve the situation for all involved. People like pictures, so I included some nice pics in the email pitch too.

I mentioned that even though we have a newer lathe, it's an Asian import that is towards the lower end of the lathe spectrum.
                          Far better than no lathe at all, but not in the league of something like the Leblond we are being offered.

I compared it to having a cheaper Yugo car, and someone offers you a nice Cadillac with 40k miles and all you have to do is pay for the title transfer.

Comment

So, As per SOP in large companys it seems that those who make the decisions have no idea what their deciding about? Maybe a unrequested written report circulated to all those in charge about what exactly the shop does, specifications the work is done to, How important the work and equipment is, Yada, Yada. You get the idea. Maybe in addition to this would be to mention the report was needed because the recipients know nothing and are overpaid incompetent idiots?

Maybe slightly reword that last part.

Yeah I've worked for big companys too. It's not uncomman to watch them spend $10,000 to save $10.

Pete

Comment

I wouldn't say they are incompetent idiots, some very sharp people around here too.
                              Just that their specialties and so different than anything to do with machine shop equipment subjects.

Just like if they get me involved with in-depth biochemistry details in some meetings, makes my head spin...
                              I'm all about design, physics, math, etc. Outside of that stuff it seems my eyes start to glaze over.

I'm sure if I start talking about collet chucks, depths of cut, rotary tables, and such, it is the same sort of thing to them.

Comment

Who's the happiest guy in the company today?!?

Looks like I get my new toys!!

Here's the response from my email:
                                Thank you, Todd for such a thorough assessment. (The Yugo - Cadillac analogy really illustrates the point !)

Yes, we should acquire it and the other equipment . Will need to do an asset transfer as well.
                                We just need to make sure if there are any additional costs to maintain it (any service contracts?), that we understand the final cost to the dept.

Thanks for looking out for departmental improvements.

Comment

Working...
                                X