Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't complain about tool limitations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't complain about tool limitations...

...Some folks do work with far less.

http://www.wimp.com/chesspieces/

John

Who said turning between centers wasn't done anymore

Comment

Excellent, thanks.

When it started, I wondered why he had his lathe on the floor - not what doctors recommend - but the reason is soon revealed.

Just one chisel, too, for both turning and carving.

Comment

Amazing ingenuity! Thank you for the video.
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

I also noted that his chisel appears to be exceedingly sharp.

The way he rests it on the wood, it might hone it while he works.

Comment

I liked how he improvised when the piece on the end chipped out. He just made a matching chip on the other side and called it a feature.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Thanks for the link. That guy is better with his feet than I am with my hands. I'm all of a sudden feeling a bit guilty about what I have.

Pete

Comment

Yeah, like some home shop machinists, he'll mic the turning AFTER he's done and THEN draw up the plans. That way, he can boast that his lathe can turn to the tenth!

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 10-26-2011, 12:41 PM.

Comment

What do you think he uses for a speeds and feeds calculator.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by philbur
                    What do you think he uses for a speeds and feeds calculator.

Phil
                    Abacus, of course. I can even predict what part of his body he has availbale to move the beads.
                    Mike
                    WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Harbor freight lathe and chisel????

Comment

Interesting the way he cuts on both the forward and back strokes.

Comment

hmm .I'd grab that guy who was doing all the chanting and preying ..he'd be on the bow ...or i would knock one of the guys off one of those irritatingly noisy motor bikes....and commandeer his engine ..of course.a good silencer would be made for the engine .

all the best.markj

Comment

I'm guessing his high end digital micrometers were hidden away for the filming. Screw most of the charitys since 98% of the money never gets there. I'd buy and donate a mini lathe to that guy just on his skilled ability and the effort of making a living with almost nothing.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by uncle pete
                              I'm guessing his high end digital micrometers were hidden away for the filming. Screw most of the charitys since 98% of the money never gets there. I'd buy and donate a mini lathe to that guy just on his skilled ability and the effort of making a living with almost nothing.

Pete
                              Keep in mind that he is selling to the tourist crowd. Much of the allure of those items is the fact that they are built by hand (and foot.) Literally. If he had a powered lathe on a stand, he would lose a large portion of his sales.

I had friends down in Grand Canyon who made jewelry. That stuff they took to the trade shows and markets, they made using the most modern methods they could get. Those they sold to the tourists dropping by they would hand carve while sitting on a mat in front of the cabin.

Pops

Comment

Working...
                              X