adding wording to a project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund
    How does that Etc-O-Matic stencil work, I mean what it is and what could be substituted? The machine is easy, as it is just a DC power source with about 10-15 VDC and a few amps of current.
    I would like to find out more about this my self

I have used a mimeograph stencil, blotting paper (or paper towel), and an electrolyte to mark metal. was more than a few years ago, probably 40 years or so ago the mimeograph stencil had to be "cut" with an impact like a typewriter or even a ball point pen, which would make it hard to use with modern printers.

FWIW: the process with the odor, was the ditto machine or spirit duplicator, where the stencils had a waxy film which was dissolved by the spirits and transferred to the paper. printing was blue

Comment

Yep, would be interested in knowing the required properties of the stencil. I do understand that it would have to conduct electricity through the wanted text, but otherwise be an insulator.
      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Etch-O-Matic

These are "electro-etchers". The knife maker guys seem to use them to mark their creations. Some info on a home made unit here:

http://www.knives.mlogiudice.com/kni...er/index.shtml

Essentially just an AC/DC power supply of about 12-24V. The trick is in the stencils and electrolytes. If you google "electro-etching" you will find loads of info to get you started. I have heard that this can be done using just salt water as an electrolyte, but have never tried it.

I also recall seeing an article about this in one of the old popular science or popular mechanix magaizines from the '50's or '60's. Some poking about on google books may turn it up.

Edit: While it is not the one I was recalling, I just found this one:
        POP MECH
        Last edited by alanganes; 01-01-2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Dec 2011/Jan 2012 issue of Machinist's Workshop has an article titled:

"Laser Printing on Any Clean, Smooth Surface"

Comment

One that I have to test if a regular laser printer paper works at all, as the printing is plastic and thus electrically non-conductive. The only worry is that the plastic is very thin and might not handle even the low 10-15 VDC.

Other idea would be to etch an electrode to a regular printed circuit board. These are actually very easy to make and very fine details can be had if ordered from a PCB supplier with gerber files

Have to make some test next week, I think something feasible can be invented for HSM usage

Edit: Or laser cut from a PVC tape the design you want and tape it on.
            Last edited by Jaakko Fagerlund; 01-01-2012, 10:18 AM.
            Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Working...
            X