Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.T. - Another Robot - But this one is something else!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. - Another Robot - But this one is something else!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mclbV...layer_embedded

Petman - By Boston Dynamics. This is the same company that brought you the "bigdog" quadraped.

Cool,
    With a bit more work they can start mass producing it.
    Good cannon fodder!
    Dave

Comment

That outfit must have some heavy DoD funding!

Rex

Comment

Looks like a cylon to me
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Like my Mrs in a stropp,

......only better looking
          John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

watch out ..its the beginning of "Cyberdyne Systems"

Creator of the Terminator

all the best.markj

Comment

To tell you the truth that really is getting kinda weird to watch,,,

oh sure the first ones will be fun to trip up and find all their weak spots but then like the Borg they will all learn as a collective from their mistakes - and then? and then I already will have expired so I guess it's ok...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer

oh sure the first ones will be fun to trip up and find all their weak spots but then like the Borg they will all learn as a collective from their mistakes - and then? and then I already will have expired so I guess it's ok...
                So, it's ok for your sons, daughters, grand daughters, grandsons !

to have a robot bailiff evict them from their home .

all the best.markj

Comment

Yes, it is starting to get scary. The answer is out there, from the world of Science Fiction, my favorite author: Isaac Isamov. He saw this problem years ago and formulated three laws of robotics. We need to adopt them world wide ASAP for any mechanism or computer that is built to "think".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

Of course these laws would eliminate almost any military use of robots. I, for one, support this. But I also know it is almost impossible to expect in the real world. Heck, we can't control a simple thing like nuclear weapons. The world is going to get scarier.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon

all the best.markj

yeah it's ok - me no got's any "sons, daughters, grand daughters, grandsons"

(not that I know of anyways)

just hope they don't build any of those "liquid steel" kind anytime soon - now those dang things are hard to kill...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore

Of course these laws would eliminate almost any military use of robots.

yeah but where do you draw the line on that one --- how much human input? in effect don't we already have them flying in the sky's " aren't they called a "drone" --------------- ???

is it just because they have wings instead of arms and legs that it makes it somehow "OK" ?

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer

Everyone ought to read this NOW!:

How to Correct a Mistake That May Lead to the Ruin of All Mankind

Comment

Just wait till some hacker in his moms basement loads some new programs or virus.
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon

all the best.markj

The reality is that future generations of these robots will be our descendants, just like we are descendants from Neanderthal, and what came before, and before... (okay, we're not direct Neanderthal descendants, but we do carry their genes)

We all prattle on about how fast things are changing, but we 'aint seen nothin' yet. Computers can already whup me at chess (okay, an Apple IIE could probably have done that) and beat me at Jeopardy. Soon, they will be able to out-drive me, out-ride me on my dirtbike, cook a better meal (could probably do that now considering my kitchen skills) and probably do a better job of sorting the pile of screws I never get to sortin'. But, my kid will have to live through the indignity of having to admit that humans are #2 on the intelligence scale. That's gotta' hurt.

Like it or not, they will out-evolve us. They will be the ones that journey to the stars, that accomplish all the things humans have aspired to through the generations. I bet they'll even get those flying cars we're not allowed to have. Well, they will be the flying cars. Sigh...

Those suckers have gone from nothing to bipedal walking in less than 100 years. It took us, what, millions and millions and millions (in Sagan'ese) of years. We don't have a chance, even with direct gene manipulation, biology is just too slow.
                            http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

I watched the video a couple of days ago and noticed all of the cables, etc. likely connecting it to electric, pneumatic, computer, possibly hydraulic and I had this thought. When the makers of the robot can unhook it from all of the support and run it on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, they will really have something.

Brian
                              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Working...
                              X