Jensen Interceptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jensen Interceptor

A Sunday morning drive took me to far-north Scottsdale. Coming out of a coffee shop I saw that a sports car had parked behind my Forester. Its insignia read Jensen Interceptor III. This was the first time I'd seen one.

It has a 7.2 liter V-8 in that compact chassis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jensen_Interceptor What other sports car in the early 1970s would have been a match for this?

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Originally posted by aostling
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jensen_Interceptor[/url] What other sports car in the early 1970s would have been a match for this?
    For ugliness or speed

Comment

They are not so ugly ..you just got to take the pictures at the right angles

it's a Brit car with an American engine ..i suppose it has the edge on an American car with an American engine ..handling wise, and level of comfort for the time period .

it was a right old bitsa though ...Triumph stag steering rack ...components from Ford transit ..Bedford vans, Ford cortina ...Jaguar.

all the best.markj
      Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 11-06-2011, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
        They are not so ugly ..you just got to take the pictures at the right angles
        I thought its lines were very attractive. I do wish now that I'd backed off and taken the photo at a longer focal length.

The paint job is a bit much. I assume it did not leave the factory in those Halloween colours.
        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

what do you mean ...in the 70's tangerine was "THE"in colour" ..don't you remember the expression..."what colour is it ..tangerine-mannnn"

all the best.markj

Comment

Wonder what that back window is worth?

Reminds me of an AMC ??? Gremlin ?? back window.

Comment

Jensen

To me it looks like a cross between a Javelin and a Gremlin.
              Kansas City area

Comment

The Studebaker Avante (sp?) was surprisingly fast. In 1967 crusing north from Phoenix at about 90mph one past me so fast it was startling.
                It was ugly but it would run.
                Byron Boucher
                Burnet, TX

Comment

It looks like a slightly scaled down AMC Pacer.

Comment

Stretch Pacer limousine!!

Comment

Four Wheel Drive.......Chrysler V8 Hemi........Fastest car in its day "Zero to 100mph and back down to zero"...........Amazing brakes in its day. Amazing car even by today's standards.

Comment

Olds 442, Pontiac GTO and Firebird, Chevy Camero and Corvette, Ford Mustang, and the Plymouth Baracuda come close. Tricked out cars would be the Ford Cobra and Shelby Mustang. Big block hot cars were made by Ford, GM, and Chrylser. All the US models were outclassed by true sport cars built overseas but were a lot of fun to take to the drag strip.

Comment

Some of similar vintage had little "competition" as designs were unique then...what happens when say a British company decides to allow some Italian styling house carte blanche and then meddles a bit with the results...however you can see a bit of evolution from an earlier Jensen

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/60_jensen541rear.htm

from the same site, not sure this would be considered "classic" by many: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/70_alfaromeogtv_2.htm

some SAABs of a slightly later vintage were pretty ugly from the 3/4 rear view as well and then you had the whole wedge shape thingie of which many, IMO, were just triangles w wheels...add to all that the general evolution...not sure how many of those under 25 say would think much of the early 240z shape...

Comment

I remember the Jensen well. They mated a powerful American Chrysler drivetrain with British and European body and styling. And you're right, the car was very nicely styled , in my opinion. The styling had what I would call " beauty with restraint", something that typically comes from British and European sources.
                            Last edited by Bill736; 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

That thing is an abortion - i'll go with the javelin front end and pacer back end crowd - and god help u when u get to the turns, I mean what are those ? 70 series tires?

but thanks for sharing
                              Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 11-06-2011, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X