X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's going to be gorgeous!

Comment

Originally posted by gary hart
      Like the neat way they lock the compound from swiveling, sure beats using a wrench in the slots.
      Gary, J Tiers or anyone,

How does the compound swivel lock? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter S
        Gary, J Tiers or anyone,

How does the compound swivel lock? Thanks!
        There is a "binder screw" with lever handle, that pushes a good-sized flat "gib" against the cone forming the bearing for the compound rotation. The gib is cut to fit the cone bearing, and slides in a cut slot. Seems to lock it quite nicely.

Somewhat related to the way Atlas and S-B compounds lock, only those use two screws and wedges.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
          There is a "binder screw" with lever handle, that pushes a good-sized flat "gib" against the cone forming the bearing for the compound rotation. The gib is cut to fit the cone bearing, and slides in a cut slot. Seems to lock it quite nicely.

Somewhat related to the way Atlas and S-B compounds lock, only those use two screws and wedges.
          OK, thanks for that. Would be great to see a photo some time if possible, it sounds pretty neat compared to cap screw sockets full of swarf.

It's hard to look at all that grime and grit in the quick-change gearing etc. but good to see it coming back to life, good work.
          Last edited by Peter S; 11-22-2011, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Got done with some other work that had to be done, and got into the Rivett again.....

Decided to start scraping the slides in, since they are a self-contained group, and finishing them allows a lot of parts to be re-assembled..... Started with the compound, which in my case is the Rivett T-slot compound.

For grins, here is a picture of the first spotting of the bottoms of the dovetails of the part......showing the *wonderful* plane surface, and the *excellent* contact that must have been made with the guiding ways. Blue is fairly thick, too, smeary markings due to "ground" surface (worn).

End view of the compound..it's pretty thin, but that's how they were:

Comment

FYI on the spindle bearings...when I took mine apart I was very worried about the scoring and figured I needed to do something about it. A Rivett expert took a look at it and said "just clean it up and put it back together, it will run fine" and it did. Just keep it lubed and it will be fine.

I'm fairly certain that the compound is cast...I think the drawings mention a pattern number.

It will be a great lather when you are done(but you knew that!)

Paul

Comment

bttt

/whistles innocently

Comment

been a while since I posted anything....

In the mean time, aside from going away for holidays, and doing other stuff that needed done, some things have in fact gotten dealt with.

First, some dirty Rivett chucks that came with it were cleaned up. Mostly on the "displacement activity" principle, I was un-motivated about scraping at the time....

The 4 jaw cleaned up to near-new condition. I don't think the drag racers knew what to do with it.

The 3 jaw was a puzzle to get apart, but it did disassemble and clean up well needs some jaw grinding, but is otherwise in acceptable condition.

One of the drag racers had tigged a nut on the end of the square pinion shaft, since he didn't have a square socket wrench. This meant the chuck would not come apart, so it was cut down to a rough square with the Foredom and some cutoff disks.
                  here is the nut

The cleaned-up innards... Interestingly, the chuck is held together by the mounting screws. You can see that half the hole is in the chuck outer shell, and half in the "plug" that fits into it. This "dutch keys" the chuck together , although it stays pretty well as a press fit.
                  The pinion has to pull inwards thru the hole at top left of the chuck shell. You can see a witness mark over the pinion hole.

I cut off the remainder of the tigged-on nut, and cleaned up the 1/4" square pinion shaft.
                  The chuck cleaned up to a good state, tight and clean, with just some jaw surface issues. I found a square socket wrench, but probably will look for a better one.
                  Last edited by J Tiers; 01-22-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

So, back on my head for scraping.....

next up was the compound slide, and the crosslide top body. These fit together with a circular slideway which I found was way off of parallel with the other linear slideways.

I first scraped the bottom sliding surface of the crosslide body, to provide a reference on it. Then I roughed-in the compound top slideway so as to provide a reference there.

The circular slideway could then be checked and gotten close, so as to avoid later large corrections.

Checking the compound slide side of the circular way for parallel with the compound slideway. note the use of matched parallels because of the male dovetail.

Checking the crosslide portion of the circular slide. This has a female dovetail, and there is a sliding surface on the bottom. While scraping the bottom I checked that surface against the top of the body to be sure it was not way off. It was OK, and so I proceeded to the circular slide.

Because there are pins in the center of the compound slide portion, I could not scrape it to the granite flat. So I had to make a "transfer master" to scrape it. This is just a piece of steel, scraped flat against the granite, and used to 'transfer" the granite surface to the circular way. The wood handle makes it easier to deal with, and avoids warping from hand heat, since the piece is not very thick.

After that, the compound slide circular way was used to rough-in the crosslide circular way to a flat and parallel state vs the crosslide bottom surfaces. I blued the compound portion, and tried it against the crosslide portion, checking parallel from toime to time also. Rough-in is within a few tenths. The key check will be after finish scraping the dovetail slideways and trial assembly assembly of the parts.

So next I need to finish scrape the compound and crosslide dovetails and verify that the compound slideway is still parallel with the crosslide way when the parts are assembled.

Edit:
                    And now that I started that, I remembered that I need a thinner scraper blade to do it...... the corner is "in there" a ways. With existing scraper blade I am OK on the side with the leadscrew nut's arm, where there is a largish opening, but not very good on the side where the flat and dovetail portions meet.

I have smaller blades, but no handle for them. A while back I asked about the holding method on the tubular handles, but it looks like my smaller blades do not fit any current handle. The blades for the tubular ones have no turned-up "tab" on the blade, and the handles that use the 'tab" are no longer made in the smaller size.

I keep having to make tools for this project!
                    Last edited by J Tiers; 01-22-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Progress has been slow, largely because there was SO MUCH to be dealt with on the compound slide (I had to go back and do some considerable re-work), and the fact that the steel compound was a bear to scrape.

So far compound and compound slide are completely scraped-in, done unless I find something horrible wrong with my work later.

Crosslide is 75% done (guided dovetail needs some touchup), and I still need to check the compound swivel with compound on top, since the compound is now known to be parallel to a couple tenths.

Crosslide base is well on its way, the flat ways are about done, and I have started to assess the dovetails for parallelism.

What I still need to do is to figure out how to check the crosslide base alignment versus the rest of teh lathe. I had thought to make the concave facing bias here, but that may be a bad idea.

The crosslide clamps onto the "saddle", retained by a setup similar to a jeweler's lathe (flat top and angled sides) and that may be the place to set the bias. I am probably best off to make it parallel, but the measuring issue of topside to bottom side is still the same. Even the "Kingway" isn't good for this, unless I make another different "bar slider", since the slider I have on it is too big to get under the dovetail.

BTW, the narrower scraper blade fit nicely into the existing handle, so that worked out with no expenditures or extra work, after all.

parts that are all done

The work area for this (granite flats are elsewhere away from dust.) Scraped crosslide itself is under the plastic at left behind the straghtedge because it is blued-up the reference for the flats. 4 kinds of "burr files" on top of the red steel cube, "daubers" for blue on top of the bench block, along with a lathe tool re-purposed as a dovetail corner relief tool, and a pair of cylinders for measuring dovetails sitting on a shop towel piece.

Crosslide base in the vise for scraping (comes out for spotting)....Some work left to do..... could have better spot distribution, and there will be some work on dovetail parallelism to do as well. But it IS a slide, only needs maybe 10 spots per inch^2

profile of the crosslide base, that fits on the saddle (Rivett called it the "carriage angle")
                      Last edited by J Tiers; 02-28-2012, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Finishing the upper part of the crosslide base..... the dovetail.

First spottings looked like this

and this

obviously not so hot...... so scraping commenced.... keeping an eye on the angle as well as the contact area.

Getting better

and better

I was able to get the angle, contact, and distance between to come out right at once..... hooray.... checking with cylinders gives me about 3 tenths variation along the slide, which I am happy with for now at least. Oddly, the feedscrew for this was really worn, while the compound screw was not very worn at all, and yet that slide had a LOT of variation, 4 or 5 thou along the length.

The issue of alignment for proper facing performance I have bagged for now.... I have two choices:

1) I can try to scrape the base and/or the top of the carriage angle (see below) for that.

2) I can finish both of those to fit themselves, and later scrape the face of the carriage angle that fits against the apron to set the facing performance.

#2 actually sounds like the better approach at the moment.
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 03-04-2012, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Well, progressing to the "carriage angle".... That's the part that sticks out from the carriage/apron assembly on a Rivett. Looks like this, with the upper side carrying the crosslide base, and the underside at top left riding on the top of the bed.

I have to work on this to get it flat and then mate it up to the underside of the crosslide base, which sits on it. This is the surface to start with, since it can be spotted on the granite flat, and used as a master for the crosslide base.

Carriage angle from side to show what it is. It fits onto the actual apron, and the two contact the top and side of the bed, including a dovetail way on the side.

The first spotting of top on this item was again not so hot. Odd, really, since this surface is not a slide, but only a surface that the crosslide base sits on.... you would not (or at least I didn't) expect that it would have significantly changed since the machine was made....

somewhat improved, but lots of work remaining. I lightly scraped the whole top "straight down", to clear off the layer of surface corrosion, before I did any serious scraping for results. While doing that, I went over the areas that originally blued an extra 2 passes (one each in 2 angles) to get matters started.

getting better indeed....
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 03-04-2012, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Finishing up

This was deemed good enough for a no-motion surface on which another piece gets clamped....

After the crosslide base is fitted, I will get to work on this part..... although I may shift over to the bed, I have not decided, and may look for some advice.

This is the area on the bottom of the carriage angle that makes contact with the top of the bed. Looks a bit rough, worse than the bed looks, actually, which is a bit odd. Wipers go in the grooves that run back to the back, presumably felt. I'll need to dig the remains out and see what can be done there.
                            the dark part in the middle does not contact anything, it spans over an opening in the bed which is used to align the headstock and tailstock.
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 03-04-2012, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Nice pictures of your work Jamie - and thank's for the description. I wish there were a 'scraping class' I could attend over here as I'd love to tackle my milling machine one day.
                              Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
                                Nice pictures of your work Jamie - and thank's for the description. I wish there were a 'scraping class' I could attend over here as I'd love to tackle my milling machine one day.
                                Thanks

I've never taken a class, had no opportunity that I could usefully take advantage of... Forrest has had some, and Rich King has had some, but timing and/or location have been bad for me.

Started small and worked up. The Connoley book "Machine Tool Reconditioning" has definitely been a big help.

This is going to amount to my "apprentice project", after completing which, I'll definitely "be ready to take a journey, man!"...... I'll be ready for a vacation.

No doubt after I get it back together I will see what I "shoulda" done in various places.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                                X