Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

progress......

The crosslides are probably DONE......

Couldn't do much about the areas where metal is missing..... I wasn't really on-board with cutting the metal to a clean edge..... I thought, perhaps wrongly, that I would be letting swarf in if I did. I suppose it might get in anyhow, although I did round off the missing areas so it will more likely get wiped-away rather than caught and scratched across the ways.

I have been looking at the bed, and it appears so far that the topside V is pretty well untouched, and can be retained as a reference. So I am provisionally not going to do ANYTHING to the V, which will probably preserve the factory alignment of headstock and maybe the tailstock base. Anything except de-burr it, and make sure it has no rusty films, that is....

Cross-slides: base and crosslide (base on left)

Compound slide and compound

Closeup of a scraped surface

A view of the bed's top "V", after a not very extensive bit of cleaning up. Basically rubbing with very fine closed-coat sandpaper and oil, and a little going-over with a burr file. Top surfaces not really touched.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 03-07-2012, 09:46 PM.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Today's progress was scraping green paint off the entire cabinet, including doors, covers, drawers, and carcass, since it was over 80F outside.

Started the job using 3m "safest" stripper, which to my great surprise worked OK on a lot of it, although it does not obviously wrinkle up the paint. Finished up with "Citristrip", which made the paint basically jump off the surface.

I will go over it with purple cleaner when I have decided what paint to use to paint it. I was thinking some form of epoxy paint, but haven't decided yet.

progress on the bed is waiting for a practical lifting means in the shop. The bed is a chunk of almost solid cast iron a meter long by 100 x 150 mm or so....I'm NOT lifting that up myself.
      Last edited by J Tiers; 03-18-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Since the time of these posts, the entire re-scraped topslide assembly has been put back together. I've had other scraping jobs to do, including some paid ones, and various aspects of "life getting in the way", as well as having absolutely no idea where the lathe can go in the various fragmented areas of the shop. But the time is approaching for tackling the bed.

I'll post pics of the reassembled topslide assembly fairly soon.

Comment

Hiwinn RG series linear rails. Sorry, it was just the first thought in my head. A discussion for a different thread.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

I'll post pics of the reassembled topslide assembly fairly soon.
            Looking forward. JR

Comment

But the time is approaching for tackling the bed.
              10 years of head scratching and its finally time? sounds like me lol. What's the plan on how to come at it?
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                10 years of head scratching and its finally time? sounds like me lol. What's the plan on how to come at it?
                Well it is not finalized, but I did make, in the meantime, a "Kingway" tool for checking things. I plan to use the center V as the base feature, since it will not be particularly worn. I will flatten the top surface, then attack the dovetail and its gib, and proceed from there to the other surfaces. i WILL need to re-address the V, as the tp surface reduction will mean the headstock and T/S won;t fit any more, but that will be late in the process. The underside of the "carriage angle" will almost certainly need a filler, probably not turcite, more likely linen phenolic material (micarta) suggested by Richard King.

There are 10 separate surfaces to get aligned, and I have neither a mill large enough to rough it, nor a Biax. I see some serious exercise in my future, and most likely will set up a separate bench to hold the bed, as it will take a while to do the scraping, and I am sure I will take breaks for other projects..

Comment

Well it is not finalized, but I did make, in the meantime, a "Kingway" tool for checking things.
                  FYI, we have an article on building a Kingway-type tool in the next issue of HSM (March/April, in the mail Feb 9). It's a multi-part article and will probably run in four issues. Sounds like you already have yours made, but you might enjoy a look at Michael Ward's design.
                  George
                  Traverse City, MI

Comment

Here is the proposed cover, which should give a good idea of the design.

George
                    Traverse City, MI

Comment

Yes, mine is a close copy of the classic one. Here is a pic of it, without the level vial holders, which I have not made, and may never make, as they are not that useful to me.

Comment

Which model is it, JT?

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                          Which model is it, JT?
                          a 608, late version, takes 5C in the spindle.

Comment

I've been looking at the details in http://www.lathes.co.uk/rivett/page2.html It is a very unusual design, are you intending to run the belt downward or rearward?

Comment

Downward. It has the cabinet which the UK site incorrectly calls the "kneehole" cabinet. Actually it is the two drawer cabinet with NO "kneehole".

The drive is under the headstock, and the belts go down through the hole provided, which cleverly allows the belt to be changed without cutting it..

Comment

That's a nice king-clone. Where did the black cross-clamps come from?

BTW anyone thinking of making one for themselves and wondering what to do about the base tube with the cut-out - you can dismantle an old office chair gas ram, turn the centre and mill a quarter-section out of it. The better quality ones have a very nice thick walled tube of (I think) stainless which is ground finish inside and out.
                                Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                                Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                                Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                                X