Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find a good, cheap live center?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find a good, cheap live center?

Hello All,

A couple years ago, when I didn't need a live center, I saw Bison and Skoda
    MT2 live centers for around $40.00 nearly everywhere.

Things have changed. Now they seem to be $120.00+.

Is there anyplace that is selling a good quality live center for cheap?

Please help.

Thank you,

-- Bill

PS: I am in America.
    Last edited by cryptrx; 11-08-2011, 12:44 PM.

Biil,
    Adding your location to your profile might help you get better responses.
    I imagine you are located in North America.

Dave

Comment

Dave,

I am in America.

Thanks,

-- Bill

Comment

North, Central or South?

There was a discussion on another forum about how geographically challenged "Americans" are these days. Many can't point to their state on a map or name adjoining states much less the capitals.

Comment

Here you go. Hope this helps.
          http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=FG328-0159

Even better price. Can't vouch for the quality.
          http://www.shars.com/products/view/4...on_Live_Center
          Jonathan P.

Comment

Good and Cheap usually don't go togather.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee
              Good and Cheap usually don't go togather.

JL..............

Skoda and Bison are not good centers?

-- Bill

Comment

I'd say so...

Originally posted by cryptrx
                Skoda and Bison are not good centers?

-- Bill
                I've had a Skoda I picked up at an auction about four years ago (NOS).

Very happy with it's performance.
                I bury my work

Comment

Bill,
                  Have you looked at any of the offerings from Little Machine Shop?
                  My experiences have been they are pretty up front about what they are selling and stand behind the products.
                  If you are not in a big panic for one places like Travers, Enco and KBC do have some significant sales if you can wait.
                  Good luck and let up know what you end up with and if you are satisfied.

Dave

Comment

Buy the Bison or Skoda. Pay the money. They are "less expensive" in comparison to Royal or some of the others... Read the Bison directions carefully - the seals can take a couple of hundred hours to break in, and on some models you can adjust the preload.

I have several live centers - they all fail eventually, and most can't be rebuilt (at least not easily) I keep one that's "pristene" for when I need it, and the rest get whatever I throw at them. Hot work is tough on center bearings (expands) unless they are spring loaded. If the center is geting hot, that's a good indicator you are "abusing" it.

Comment

For whatever reason it was, Bison products took a huge jump in prices a few years ago. I'll second the opinion that good and cheap is impossible in the same product. Buy the Bison or at least compareable. Good live centers are expensive because of the accurate work and expense of the bearings to build them. I've yet to be disapointed with any product that the manufacter will list maximum allowable tollerances. I can't say the same for products that won't list any tollerances.

Pete

Comment

I have an MT2 TMX live center. It is the Chinese brand of Toolmex. It is well made, no sharp edges. I cannot detect any runout with my tenths indicator.

allan

Comment

Good and Cheap can not be used in the same sentence. Their is no such thing .
                          you can have Good are you can have Cheap but not both. Skoda is about your best bet . I want use any thing else.
                          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by kitno455
                            I have an MT2 TMX live center. It is the Chinese brand of Toolmex. It is well made, no sharp edges. I cannot detect any runout with my tenths indicator.

allan
                            Are you sure it's Chinese?I e-mailed Toolmex about two months ago and they said no,none of they're products were made in China,everything was from Poland.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                              Are you sure it's Chinese?I e-mailed Toolmex about two months ago and they said no,none of they're products were made in China,everything was from Poland.
                              The center is only marked "TMX by Toolmex" and a model number. But the box said made in China. It is 12 months old or so.

allan

Comment

Working...
                              X