Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-Beam Prices

My thread seems to have disappeared.

Can someone tell me a good place to look for prices for I beams?

Thanks,
    Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Bob,
    I guess someone figured your post was too much like an advertisement. :-(
    Would a good way to find the lower limit for the price to calculate the weight per foot and determine the scrap value? Anything less than that would be a mistake.
    When I was looking for I beam I found some at my local scrap metal dealer. I imagine they would be a good place for pricing.

Dave

Comment

I just priced up three pieces today, 203x203mm at 9m long - £1450 plus VAT delivered. That's over £1000/ton with the delivery!

Local place in London - so it won't help you I'm afraid.
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Call a steel dealer. BTW I beams are designated by the weight per foot, so you don't need to calculate it. Width of flange by lbs/ft.

Comment

and be sure that what you actually want is an "I" beam and not a wide flange beam (WFB)

Joe B

Comment

My son just bought a new beam for his garage ceiling,

It,s 5 1/2 in flange x 3/4 thick x6inch web x 1/2 inch thick x 40 feet long, think it was $1900.00.

Comment

Just bought some 6x 12.5lb/ft I-beams last week.

$.65/lb x 12.5lb/ft x 20'=$162.50ea delivered.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I found a chart online that did not have my beams in it. I am trying to determine the weight per foot.

6 inch flange X 10 inch high X 3/8 inch web X flange of 1/4 inch at the edge.

Wierdscience, were your beams new or used?

Thanks guys for the responses so far.

Brian
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Heres the link to all the different beams and specs you can think of........

Last I checked they were selling I beam for .25c a lb at the scrap yard......pretty cheap actually......

http://www.structural-drafting-net-e...teel-beam.html
                  Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Check out the lists linked for your sizes. http://www.saginawpipe.com/steel_i_beams.htm

Note that in Wide Flange or "W" beams the flange is parallel on all sides.

On "I" beams ( actually called "S" or "Standard" beams} the flanges are taperd on the inside. This is what they use for crane rails on most of the jib cranes. Also looks like to "C" channels back to back.

New "W" beams run about .50-.60 per lb in the 1000-5000 lb qty. "S" beams will run about .15-.20 per lb more per lb. The smallest and largest sizes tend to run 5-10% higher than the rest of the size range. THese prices are for full lengths usually in 5' increments on the "W" and 20' increments on the "S" beams.

Market prices vary a little so shop around.

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01
                      I found a chart online that did not have my beams in it. I am trying to determine the weight per foot.

6 inch flange X 10 inch high X 3/8 inch web X flange of 1/4 inch at the edge.

Wierdscience, were your beams new or used?

Thanks guys for the responses so far.

Brian
                      New,The only thing close is a W10 x22

http://www.colemetals.com/Ibeams.htm

You may have a special section which won't be listed in the charts.In which case you can bust it down by thickness.

Steel plate 1" weighs 40.8lbs/sq ft,- 1/2" is 20.4 and so on.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                      X