No announcement yet.

OT: Still camera for wife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife's birthday is four days after Christmas. One of the first things I learned, even before getting married almost 31 years ago, is NEVER make her Christmas or birthday gifts a "combined" gift. It seems that's what her El Cheapo parents did to her all throughout her youth, and she still resents it. Our wedding anniversary is mid-December and my mother's birthday is New Year's Eve, so December is easily the most expensive month of the year for me.

Comment

Drifting further afield, my birthday is New Year's Eve and for most of my pre-married life (exclusive of my parents) every gift I got was a combined Christmas/birthday gift. My wife did that exactly once. She didn't make that mistake again in the ensuing 37 years.

Comment

Fujifilm X-S1

Originally posted by Black Forest
        I decided to buy the Cannon 60D with a couple of good lens and be done with the search.
        Perhaps you should have waited for the Fujifilm X-S1, announced an hour ago. Unlike all other super-zooms this one has a relatively large 2/3" sensor, and a 24-624mm lens which is fast for its range. It is in the premium "X" series, which includes the X-100. Like the X-10 it has a manual zoom ring, which saves battery power.

http://fujifilm-x.com/x-s1/en/index.html

Full HD video of course, and a tiltable LCD.

Last edited by aostling; 11-24-2011, 12:38 PM.
        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

He wanted a interchangeable lens camera. The fuji is fixed.

The selection of lenses is great for the Canon, you can use and EF or EF-S mount lens ever made for it. Want low light, get the 50mm 1.4 (Or 1.2L if you have the $) The lens has been around for a long time and still holds up.

Plus you have the ability to use lenses manually from other brands like Nikon and Pentax, both have a long history of excellent glass.

Heck, we have two Cooke 20-100mm cinema lenses adapted to the EF mount:

IMG_0666 by macona, on Flickr
          Last edited by macona; 11-25-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PixMan
            My wife's birthday is four days after Christmas. One of the first things I learned, even before getting married almost 31 years ago, is NEVER make her Christmas or birthday gifts a "combined" gift. It seems that's what her El Cheapo parents did to her all throughout her youth, and she still resents it. Our wedding anniversary is mid-December and my mother's birthday is New Year's Eve, so December is easily the most expensive month of the year for me.
            What you need to do is buy uncombonation presents.
            See what you do is buy her a camera.. Then a SD card.. Then a spare battery... And then a new lens. And all 4 occasions are covered.
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
              What you need to do is buy uncombonation presents.
              See what you do is buy her a camera.. Then a SD card.. Then a spare battery... And then a new lens. And all 4 occasions are covered.
              My wife has a camera, it's part of her phone.

I don't ever buy presents for my wife that are related to or dependent upon each other. Bad move, she'd see right through it. Last year she got a diamond and gold necklace for anniversary, a high-end GPS for her car for Christmas (she's a traveling Certified Nursing Assistant and Home Health Aide), and clothing store gift certificate for her birthday.

I'm an old pro at this. I know what gift types might be well-received, but more importantly I know which gift types would definitely put me in the doghouse.

Comment

So... How do you guys like it?

Comment

She thinks it takes great pictures but she went on line and found out how much I spent for this camera and thinks I was foolish to spend so much money on a camera for her!!! I guy can't win. The really crazy part is if I buy her a horse for 10 times the money she does not think that is crazy....Did I say a guy can't win or get anything right?

She tells me she won't take the camera outside if the weather is not perfect. I asked her what about the custom saddle that cost three times as much as the camera and she rides in the rain!!! The answer....."that's different."

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Macona : hope you don't mind me asking but what on earth are you using those two canon bodies with the huge Cooke lenses to take pictures of?

I see what appears to be some form of home-brew zoom or focus using rc servos - Just looks very interesting...

Cheers
                    Batt

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
                      She thinks it takes great pictures but she went on line and found out how much I spent for this camera and thinks I was foolish to spend so much money on a camera for her!!! I guy can't win. The really crazy part is if I buy her a horse for 10 times the money she does not think that is crazy....Did I say a guy can't win or get anything right?

She tells me she won't take the camera outside if the weather is not perfect. I asked her what about the custom saddle that cost three times as much as the camera and she rides in the rain!!! The answer....."that's different."

The body is actually pretty well weather sealed, not as good as a Canon 7D or the 5DII but it should withstand rain and splashes. Interesting read about it in this thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36828375

Of course to be fully waterproof you need a fully water resistant lens which you find in Canon's L series, but the generic lenses will handle being out in the weather as well as any point and shoot.

This is a 7D, the next model up.

Canon 7D with 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM by Dzuren Hamzah, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by batt-man
                        Macona : hope you don't mind me asking but what on earth are you using those two canon bodies with the huge Cooke lenses to take pictures of?

I see what appears to be some form of home-brew zoom or focus using rc servos - Just looks very interesting...

Cheers
                        Batt

For this:

These are the only two zooms used. Everything else is Nikon primes.

Comment

Working...
                        X