Meet my boy Larry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet my boy Larry

Taking a break at the moment and thought I'd introduce my boy since I just recently gave him a bath and he's somewhat presentable now. So, here's my boy - Larry Lagun.

I had to clean him up for a couple reasons, first, I'm going to be cutting on anywhere from 500 to 1000 polystyrene panels and that stuff sticks to everything, especially if any oils or fluids are coating the surfaces. Second, I'm finally going to install a 3 axis DRO, since working clean is my preference I scrubbed ol' Larry down.
    What do you think? I like him.
    And for those that are starting to wonder - yes I do name inanimate objects. As an example, my vehicles are Ol' Yeller, Turtle, Eep, Minnie, Nono and Teddy. Nuthin wrong with me
    Someday I'll have to introduce Alfred and Tulula.

Oh, this is the way I do quick table sweep. Recognize it?

Strider

And I thought u had a new puppy,,, still very nice - not as cute but very nice...

Comment

quote <Oh, this is the way I do quick table sweep. Recognize it?>
      endquote.

Yep! had about a dozen of them around till I gave them away.
      Not verry "stiff" for that app. A disc brake is better but could need
      a pass on a surface grinder.
      ...lew...

Comment

That looks like an old hard drive platter - say about 10 Meg in size. I had one and so did a bunch of other old timers where I work. That drive was HUGE and required a two man lift to install in the bay! lol
        "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas Edison

Better to have tools you don't need than to need tools you don't have

73's KB3BFR

Comment

Looks darn nice

I would have to repaint the Bridgeport and the Grizzly mill to get them to look like that. Too clean.

The disk looks like a 14 inch substrate for an 70s-early 80s disk drive. The last one I worked on had 6 or 7 platters and held a whopping 404 megabytes. It was the size of a small washing machine, consumed 15 amps at 120 volts when working hard and had 1/4 hp spindle motor. It cost $15,000+ in 1980 dollars. Last week I got a 2 terrabyte disk for $60. I wish mills and lathes had experienced similar growth and cost reductions.

gordon

Comment

I like your satellite dish mounting arm collet holder!
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

Originally posted by strider

And for those that are starting to wonder - yes I do name inanimate objects. Strider
              My big CNC mill is called Cecil

Cecil -B DaMill ?

OK I'll get me coat..............................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Oh my. Up late there are we Sir John?
                VitŮŽria, Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                  quote <Oh, this is the way I do quick table sweep. Recognize it?>
                  endquote.

Yep! had about a dozen of them around till I gave them away.
                  Not verry "stiff" for that app. A disc brake is better but could need
                  a pass on a surface grinder.
                  ...lew...

Could have been out of a 12" SMD drive.

Should be fine. I cant imagine it will sag.

Comment

My old pick up was Too Loose The Truck Think French Artist

Comment

The origin of the disc is unknown to me. Picked it up somewhere, but it's definately not stiff, about .070" thick.

Legendboy, yeah I re-purpose a lot of stuff. That dish mount works real well for it's new purpose.

Stepside, my vehicle Teddy is named after one of my favorite presidential characters, it's a '74 3/4 ton GMC 4x4 fleetside camper special, hence 'Teddy the Rough Rider'
                      Strider

Comment

Ahhhhrggggg...you cleaned it....there go the tolerances right ot the window
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If you're ever in Texas....

I'll introduce you and Larry to Ms Colchester...

TexasTurnado

Comment

Hey now
                            I was named after TR. My grandfather groomed his horse during the Spanish American war and was very proud of it.
                            Check this out. http://www.life.com/animals-pictures...riding-a-moose
                            Yes, I name all my machines and vehicles also. My VW bus was named "Arlo".
                            Guess who it was?

Ted

Comment

I hate chips in my backpack! Nice look'in kid ya got there!

edit: Ms. Colchester looks pretty good there too! gotta a pic of her in a thong with her fresh makeup and all?
                              Last edited by Scottike; 11-10-2011, 09:52 PM.
                              I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X