Sloppy Fitting Chuck Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloppy Fitting Chuck Key

Is there a way to fix this problem? It seems that the hole in the chuck is oversized lending to a sloppy fit of the key. I was thinking of drilling new holes in between the existing holes in an attempt to keep the key from slipping. Any thoughts?
    Who do I think you are...?

what kind of chuck? jacobs, lathe etc.

if jacobs, probably not the right sized key.....if lathe I'd make a new end that fits. One tool maker I met made them and hardened them....never bother meself figuring I'd rather chew up the chuck key than chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
      what kind of chuck? jacobs, lathe etc.

if jacobs, probably not the right sized key.....if lathe I'd make a new end that fits. One tool maker I met made them and hardened them....never bother meself figuring I'd rather chew up the chuck key than chuck
      Its just the junk chuck that comes with Grizzly line mills. The same key fits my drill press much better. I know I will most likely just by a better quality keyless chuck in the end. Any suggestions?
      Who do I think you are...?

Comment

Chuck Key

You just need to get the right key for it. The right one will have a very close fit to the hole.

Comment

Chuck Key

You probably have a metric size chuck and a standard Jacobs key.

Comment

The local hardware store should have a selection of chuck keys on hand. Take the chuck and keep trying them until you find one that fits.

Comment

All you have to do is sleeve one of the holes in the chuck so that the key fits.

Comment

If the nose of the key fits the hole, it is the proper size. (In theory at least with Jacobs and chucks of reasonable quality.)

A sloppy engagement with the teeth on the sleeve is usually due to the sleeve being pushed on too far. Pull the jaws in about halfway, find some means of supporting the back of the sleeve and press or rap the nose of the chuck with a deadblow hammer to move the sleeve closer to the hole. Same procedure in reverse if the sleeve is too far forward.
                Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                X