Voss or Foss lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voss or Foss lathe

I am being offered a lathe at what seems like an attractive price Right now all I know is the make is Voss or Foss at least it sounded like that, made in Germany 14 X 60. I will be finding out more as time goes on but has anybody heard of a make that sounds like those names. There is a language barrier with the person I am dealing with
    Thanks

Originally posted by Bill McLeod
    I am being offered a lathe at what seems like an attractive price Right now all I know is the make is Voss or Foss at least it sounded like that, made in Germany 14 X 60. I will be finding out more as time goes on but has anybody heard of a make that sounds like those names. There is a language barrier with the person I am dealing with
    Thanks
    Only thing I see close to sounding like that on Tony's site is this one, but it is made in Austria:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/voest/
    TexasTurnado

Comment

If it's Voest they are a nice machine..........
      Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

"V" is often pronounced as "F" in German and "W" as "V" so the phrase "Wie viel" would come out as "Vee Feel". Voest could sound like "feast"...

Comment

Originally posted by HWooldridge
          "V" is often pronounced as "F" in German and "W" as "V" so the phrase "Wie viel" would come out as "Vee Feel". Voest could sound like "feast"...

And then we have "winegar"... And does Voest have an umlaut??

Comment

thanks for the information I am definitely going to follow it up. Regarding how it's pronounced it is definitely getting twisted around as it is Oriental person who is telling a German who is telling me, Ill bet big money it's not getting to me straight.

Comment

Working...
            X