machinists are like bass fishermen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• machinists are like bass fishermen

if you make a lure or bait and advertise that it will catch fish, bass fishermen across the country will crawl over each other to buy it. most that i know have more lures and baits than the sum total of fish they could catch in five lifetimes. i'm beginning to see a similarity with machinists and tooling

And the problem with this is...?

David
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I wasn't able to get out fishing at all this year because I was too busy in the shop. All 6 fishing rods and 3 tackle boxes sitting in the boat feeling lonely and neglected.

Pops

Comment

Fu...fi....isss....shh...i....ing...Fu..ish...ing. ..Fuish..ing...Fishing? What's that???
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by lost_cause
          if you make a lure or bait and advertise that it will catch fish, bass fishermen across the country will crawl over each other to buy it. most that i know have more lures and baits than the sum total of fish they could catch in five lifetimes. i'm beginning to see a similarity with machinists and tooling
          You could extend that even farther... there's the fisherman that has next to nothing, except more fish than he's legally allowed to keep. You know the guy. I know a guy that has nothing in the way of tools... just borrows or rents what he needs to do to stop his wife nagging him. It always amazes me how much that guy gets done. Me... I'm too busy making racks to hold my tools, so I can get better organised to make more tools for my tools so I can make better racks for my tools so... I never get anything done, don't catch any fish either.

Then again, it's not like I do either for a living, so what the hey... might as well have some fun. Cheaper than drinking... that's what I tell my wife when she gets to nagging.

David...
          http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
            Fu...fi....isss....shh...i....ing...Fu..ish...ing. ..Fuish..ing...Fishing? What's that???
            You may know it by the name "Drowning Worms"

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

There is, in fact, a great similarity.

The fisherman buys baits which he neither needs right then or uses, just because they seem like they might be useful, they look good to him, and he's just hooked.

The machinist addict buys tool and equipment that he might, possibly, conceivably need sometime in the future, just because they look good to him and, really, he's just hooked too.

Don't ask me how I know.
              Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

My problem is more castings and drawings and ideas of things to build than I could ever hope to complete.
                ----------
                Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.

Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

~ Unknown

Comment

My BIG problem is that I do both!

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower
                      Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.

Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

~ Unknown
                      The saying is a bit different in Canada,

"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, Teach a man to fish and you have another unemployed fisherman on the east coast!
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
                        My problem is more castings and drawings and ideas of things to build than I could ever hope to complete.
                        I completely agree. There is no chance of ever coming close to all that I want to make. Now it seems I must prioritize. The biggest challenge is all those other things which get in the way of machining fun. Life for instance.
                        Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Working...
                        X