vari drive belt size for Comet mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vari drive belt size for Comet mill

I need a new belt for my comet BP clone. I have a bridgeport dealer, and snow mobile dealers locally, but no one can cross the comet (372634-13) number to anything that matches. (note bridgeport j head # is 11182120)
    I measured the parts of the broken belt and it seemed to be about 1 1/2 wide and 35 1/2 in circumference. The rub is, it was a replacement belt and lasted about 20 hours run time then broke down width wise then broke. so I don't think it was the correct belt. If anyone has information on the correct belt size for a Comet 3kvhd bridgeport clone I sure need it!!

Belt

If it's a BP copy it should use a BP belt. That is not a sure deal though. Can you take the broken one to the BP dealer and see if they match up?

Comment

Originally posted by gaston
      I need a new belt for my comet BP clone. I have a bridgeport dealer, and snow mobile dealers locally, but no one can cross the comet (372634-13) number to anything that matches. (note bridgeport j head # is 11182120)
      I measured the parts of the broken belt and it seemed to be about 1 1/2 wide and 35 1/2 in circumference. The rub is, it was a replacement belt and lasted about 20 hours run time then broke down width wise then broke. so I don't think it was the correct belt. If anyone has information on the correct belt size for a Comet 3kvhd bridgeport clone I sure need it!!
      The company link below is where I bought new belts for my 10 X 50 Webb 4 VH when I refurbished it a couple of years ago. I had the old belts and gave them the numbers so it was easy. In your case, if you can give them the proper size, I'm pretty sure that they can find a belt for you. I presume that you also have a timing belt for the back gear function...you might want to replace that at the same time, although that's quite a job.

After I bought my belts, they added the Webb machines to their catalog. I suggest that you give them a call. Good luck.

http://www.jdv-belts.com/products.htm

Comment

I have a Round Tower that I've been told is the same vari drive as your Comet. Can I ask what HP yours is? Mine is 3 HP. Also does your's have a plastic spline in the lower clutch on the motor shaft? My shaft is 13/8"dia. I'm having a hard time finding info. If they are the same my belt is good & I can get the numbers & size for you. Please let me know. Thanks! Eric
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

Hi Eric
          my Comet is a 3kvhd which is a 3hp varidrive heavy duty .I haven't got it apart so I don't know the shaft size, weighs 3500#
          didn't have a belt when I got it and the belt I got for it from Matco machine tools only lasted about 20 hours of run time. that belt was 1 1/2" wide, and 35 1/2 around. I could get another one like it but I dont want to have to change belt every 20 hours! spendy and not a fun job! I was hoping one of rhe members here had the same mill and could help me with a part#

Comment

I've been told they're the same tool so parts may be the same. If you get a chance there is a cover with 3 smalll bolts under where the motor goes could you check the bottom of the shaft size,mine is 13/8" & has a 6 spline nylon bushing in the bottom clutch. If there the same the belts should be also. Thanks!
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

the shaft is the same but that doesn't mean the belts are. Researching this I have found that even though the "clones" are very Bridgeport like in most of the parts, the head vari-drives have a lot of small differences. Some are sized in inches some are metric, the spaceing between the drice centers vary and the angle of the disks vary.
              for instance, on my mill all the nuts, bolts are inch and on some "clones" they are all metric. the first belt I tried was an inch dimensioned belt and it seemed to almost ok. I think it was a little too wide(1.5") and the angle was wrong, it was 351/2" long and I'm not sure that was correct either, as the speeds were off and the adjustment plate on the top of the driven disk didn't have much adjustment without hitting the disk. It squealed till I belt dresses it and it never seemed to be "happy" So on goes my quest to find the correct belt for my mill!

Comment

Working...
              X