This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way OT: What are the Chinese up to?

This has been reported recently although it may be old news. The Chinese have created several indecipherable visual formations in the deep Gobi Desert. There is no obvious or even unobvious explanation of the purpose of these markings. One thing is certain, it took a lot of work to create, especially considering the very remote location. One possible clue is that Chinese weapons testing and space launch facilities are located in the region although not nearby.

As far as has been found and reported no other government has made such markings in conjunction with military programs. It certainly isn't meant to be hidden. This particular marking is big, about 1.7 km wide (about a mile) and 1km high in these images. The lines are about 8 metres (26 ft) wide, about the width of a 2 lane with parking city street.

Guesses any one?

You can check it out on Google Maps or Google Earth at these coordinates:

Last edited by Evan; 11-17-2011, 08:40 PM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

How about working on autonomous vehicle control systems?

Comment

Crooked Take Off and Landing Aircraft
      Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

@AB

Not a bad idea but why in the middle of nowhere? It is a very long way from anything.

Comment

It looks like that because it is several overlaid images. Perhaps the autonomous vehicle is to navigate on only certain streets for a given test.

Comment

Maybe just bad data in the Google earth db. Any verfication from an alternate system?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
              @AB

Not a bad idea but why in the middle of nowhere? It is a very long way from anything.

It might be the initiative of a local university?

Comment

Overlaid images?

It really is remote. There is nothing for hundreds of kilometres in any direction.

This is it under construction in 2005. In 2003 it didn't exist.

Comment

Looking at it in Google Earth, it seems abandoned and unmaintained. And I see no trace of any buildings around it.

Comment

By overlaid images, what I mean is suppose there are 10 different test tracks the vehicle should navigate. Instead if building one facility per track, they literally built them over the top of one another.

Comment

Also, there is more of that white material just to the East.

Comment

I was thinking it might be a message to the Rigelian Overlords...

Comment

I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if you saw the explanation on Yahoo, IIRC. The article mentioned that these are targets for spy satellites. That could be wrong too as I didn't have my tinfoil hat in place when I read the article so it's not clear if that's the correct answer.

Comment

Many more of them can be found here:
                            http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011...gigantic/all/1

many much stranger then already posted.
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

The large regular array on the wired site is the easy one. That is a very long wavelength antenna array for radio astronomy. The image below is of the Dominion Royal Astrophysical Observatory near Penticton, British Columbia. The large inverted T shape is the remains of a long wavelength antenna array.

Comment

Working...
                              X