uh .. gloat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uh .. gloat?

I picked up a Wilton C-1 vise tonight. Not quite all there, though. The tommy-bolt style locknuts on the sides are missing (replaced with simple nuts) and the sheet metal "bullet" cap in the back is missing. Worse, Wilton/Jet now only sell that cap as part of an assembly that includes the large rear threaded piece, so that the assembly is nearly $50. Ouch.

But I got it pretty cheap, $60. Has rust, of course, but it has all the swivel base parts and the serrations on the jaws and the pipe jaws are still sharp.

Will shoot pix later.

metalmagpie

Without pictures it didn't happen

Until one comes along... I'd just make the cap out of delrin/pvc/nylon, aluminum or whatever. My 6 inch end cap was badly dented... I got over the dent when I saw the price.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 11-22-2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

The cap is easy to replace. Measure the bore of the end casting and get a freeze plug from the local parts store. The plugs are usually available in 1/16" increments. Mine was missing and the plug worked well and it was less than $1.

Nice find, but need pics.

Comment

That's a nice size vise, I got one from a neighbor a couple of months ago. One of these days I might actually get mine attached to something.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey Melvin Richards
          That's a nice size vise, I got one from a neighbor a couple of months ago.
          And you have the smooth jaws too. I may make mine some smooth jaws and also some soft jaws from aluminum. Wish their "manual" showed bolt pattern for jaws ..

Comment

Working...
          X