A bit off topic:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit off topic:

Had to go to the welders supply the other day. While there decided to pick up some more brazing bronze sticks, (1/8th and a 5 lb tube is now $60.00), anyway,,,all the tubes they had in stock, around 20,, were all marked :

"Made in China".

Geez, not much made here anymore.

That isn't true. The US still does plenty of manufacturing. Right now China and the US are about tied. The problem is that to build anything much more complicated than a hammer you will probably need some parts that are imported in order to compete. Once you begin including imported parts it makes it a lot more difficult to claim Made in USA. There isn't a hard line on what constitutes "Made in USA" and that makes it a real PITA to clear a product to make that claim.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan ,re read my post,, i didn,t claim there wasn,t any other manufacturers in the USA or canada.

What i posted was the welding supply had about 20 tubes of bronze in stock,,, and -They were all marked Made in China.

Comment

You said "Not much made here anymore". That isn't true but it is difficult to find something that is made entirely and exclusively here in North America.

Comment

Ok, got your'e point, But--

In my area, almost all the manufacturing plants are GONE, equipment sold off, much of it exported out of the country never to return again.

Cheaper labour, cheaper raw materials, lax or little enviromental regulations.

Comment

I don't have any numbers but I suspect a large part of the US manufacturing GDP is accounted for by high tech, high complexity and high value products. You aren't going to see these items at the local Home Depot. A good example is Boeing which has taken orders this year from China totaling 43 widebodies at a overall value of about 10 billion dollars.

Comment

Working...
            X