Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flylo
    replied
    Great looking machine! I'm going to keep the '40 originol especially being 110V sng phase & as tight as it is. I have the 3HP Roundtower w/DRO & much more HD, has the oiler etc. It's motor is in the shop right now. I'm looking for a very large lathe in good shape. Almost bought a 16"x8' SB but everytime I ask if it was worn out he sidestepped the question.
    Thanks again Rich for all your help. It sure beats scaping them & sending the remains to china. I love old iron!

Leave a comment:

• Rich Carlstedt
    replied
    Flylo, Got some dimensions from my friend

The overall length of the rod is 22"
    The carbon steel rod is 7/16"
    The Hardened end is nickel (not brass) and is .475 diameter by 3/4" long
    The Hardened end is threaded to the rod.
    The brass head is 2 " OD by 1 3/4" long

Rich

Try this thread
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...ridgeport+1943
    Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 12-01-2011, 10:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    Mike come up anytime. I'm north of Decatur 4 miles before I94.

Leave a comment:

• BigMike782
    replied
    Eric,sometime when I get up Dogpatch way I would like to see your senior aged mill.

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    Thanks Rich! I ordered the correct grawbar & nut 26 from a place on Ebay, talked to the guy for 30 minutes. They are a machine shop also rebuiling tools & selling new & used parts. Great find. He knew all about all the Bridgeports & the knockoffs like my 3HP Roundtower BP clone & it's splined motor shaft. Also disscussed VFDs with him & he's the only one I'ved talked to that wasn't a fan of them. Next project is build the knocker. Thanks again! Eric
    PS I couldn't pull up the picture of your mill.
    Last edited by flylo; 12-01-2011, 01:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rich Carlstedt
    replied
    Eric
    Here are two photos of the knocker used on MT 2 collets in a M head.
    They are not too good as the shop lighting isn't set for taking pics

The brass head is about 2 1/4" diameter
    The steel rod is 7/16''s as I recall and you can see the knocking end ( also brass) on the far left side which is a heavy 1/2" diameter.
    When the knocker sits on a retained collet, the brass head is still 3 inches above the the famous nut 26
    The dims are estimates, as my friend did not give them to me
    Rich

Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 11-30-2011, 09:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    Thanks Rich! A picture & dimensions would be great. Just think how cutting edge these were when they came out in '38. Eric

Leave a comment:

• Rich Carlstedt
    replied
    Hey Flylo
    Check out this old post below .
    i have my 1943 BP mill in it.
    I will ask the friend of mine who has a collet knocker to photograph it, so I can post it. He still uses his M head.....

Rich

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sea...earchid=807338

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    Nope it's a 1940. No number on the knee but BH-397 on the LH door. Still works out. I learned to fly in & my 1st plane was a 1940 Taylorcraft. So I can learn to run mill on a 1940 Bridgeport. The reason I thout it was a '38 was I found a picture of one exactly like it including not having the large handle on the front of the head & someone had mentioned no number on the knee for the real early ones. Glad to know it's a prewar with a Morse Taper #2. Now when the collet falls out I'll be really happy!
    PS A collet knocker would be a really great early Christmas present! Someone has to have one somwhere. Thanks again Guys!

Leave a comment:

• justanengineer
    replied
    Originally posted by flylo
    They started making this model in 1936 which I think was there 2nd model. This model is far better than the 1st. The Model is 11897,ser M12038.I'll try to post a pic, I haven't done that yet.
    There are quite a few M head rebuilds documented over on PM and other sites with head serial numbers less than half of yours and base serial numbers indicating late 30s-early 40s. I suspect that yours is a mid to late 40s model close to the redesign of the turret with the horizontal split.
    Last edited by justanengineer; 11-27-2011, 02:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• platypus2020
    replied
    I was looking at the link for Tony's site and had never seen the version with the horizontal ram split, mine has the vertical split. Maybe it has something to do with early vs late production runs, mine is serial # BH-572.

Leave a comment:

• Ohio Mike
    replied
    I'm not aware of any list of head dates.

If you were not aware Bridgeport mill serial #1 is on exhibit at the American Precision Museum, Windsor Vermont. I'd be curious to know what the head number is on it.

PS as a side note I've recently seen Bridgeports listed at auction with body serial numbers in the low 100's. Never seen anything lower documented other than S/N 1 noted above.

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    No serial number on the knee, I'll check the door. I've read the early ones were on the left like mine. Also I'm missing the drawbar & drawbar knob. Someone has used a pc of threaded rod & 2 nuts for the drawbar. The serial number I listed is on the head, any charts on head dates?

Leave a comment:

• Ohio Mike
    replied
    Seems to me I recall seeing that type of casting on machines all the way thru WW-II 1944ish. It seems likely that they wouldn't have taken the time to make a new pattern. No serial number on the knee? Heard of a few that way, what about the serial number on the door?

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    Thanks Rich for the info.I cannot find a serial number there leading me to believe it's a 1936-1938. Also it has the vertical split top casting as shown here http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page15.html. Anyone have a tool like this or pictue or drawing? Also I learned I have MT 2 collets. Thanks again everyone fot the help! Eric
    Last edited by flylo; 11-27-2011, 12:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X