Alistair Hosie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alistair Hosie?

Alistair hasn't been on here in a while. I hope he is doing well. He was sick not long ago and was absent for three weeks.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

he has just returned to another board that we frequent, was absent for 16 days. posted about 5 hours ago . . . . don't know any particulars

Comment

Alistair where ever you are , hope all is well, and your'e contributions here are missed.

Comment

He's off to John's to pick up his Christmas present
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Tin Green Paint
          Peter
          I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

No still alive my German friend Danke Schon did you know I lived in germany for five years .I have been in Glasgow visiting my eldest son who has bought a couple of flats there and he has been doing them up with advice but not help so much from Dad.I often get home and am too tired to visit the websites anyway I am ok,maybe I need new knees.I am determined to stay here as long as I can.I have not been able to make or do much I bought a new Taiwanese copy of a pattern makers vice for my woodshop and intend with help to make a new workbench with that and a new wilton vice I bought a few years back on ebay.I just have access to cheap pine so I hope it will turn out ok but with my present health it will be next year god willing before I start it. Thanks for asking.

I have a question for you guys I want to buy a watch usually seiko for myself and want to do so online.Unfortunately I have very big wrists or reasonably big wrists not many people selling watches state the wrist sizes and it will be no good paying out for an expensive watch and it not fitting how without asking each time could I do this maybe I would be better going to a jewellers and doing it in situ.Love to my dear friends here Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

My favorite watch has a velcro band. It is super easy to put on and adjust.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                My favorite watch has a velcro band. It is super easy to put on and adjust.
                Good idea,I also like watches that have solid cast or formed in band eyes,no stupid pins to break/fall out.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have a Seiko ..and i got one with a larger s/s strap than needed .

Bad move ..after years of busting pins in it ..a jeweller told me the very reason it was busting all the time, was that, it was too loose on my wrist ..it would drop down to almost about my hand, whenever i lifted something ..and the muscle contractions in that area would bust the tiny pin that held the strap on to the watch case ..

He shortend it about two years ago and its never bust since.

So when out shopping make sure it's a good fit rather than a sloppy one.

all the best.markj

Comment

It's about time you came on here and explained yourself! Next time you decide you need to go galavanting around inform us so we will not be worried by your absense. Glad you are OK. I also have bad knees and every day is a challenge. But as long as it hurts I know I am still alive!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Well said Herr Forest I know really your American anyway as far the watch is concerned I bought a Seiko once which was too tight the jeweler fixed it for me prior to buying and said that Seiko will allow four or six links extra free if you ask them I think it might be better to buy from a store where I can try before I buy any keep well you guys are the best thanks again Forest and others for looking out for my well being. Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

There is no way that I will buy a watch that costs more than $30. I am much too hard on watches to spend more. The one watch that has lasted any length of time for me is the Casio Forester Analog Sports Watch. The case is ABS plastic so nothing to short out on wiring, it's analog display and very easy to read, has a velcro band and it has electroluminescent night lighting plus it is CHEAP.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-FT500WV-.../dp/B000GAYQMC

I also don't want a watch that is too hard to pull off if it catches on something. Good way to get hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                          There is no way that I will buy a watch that costs more than $30.
                          I feel similarly, but I go further and say that I just don't wear a watch. I used to when I was a kid, but it makes me feel too much a slave to time to have that cuff around my wrist only there to remind me I'm late all the time.

And the sad thing is, my eldest brother is a master level watchmaker and I could probably get a pretty nice and interesting piece for cheap. Oh well. I have a couple nice clocks (you DO have to be able to know what time it is once in a while at least).

But Alistair, my advice is to at least talk to a watchmaker or jeweler about a band even if you don't plan to buy the watch from them. A decent guy won't mind giving a little advice about how to go about getting a good fit, and you may need to have a chap in the know remove some links and fit the thing properly for you after you get it, which should be a pretty cheap date.

Comment

I don't wear a watch around home either but I do need it when going to town and I sometimes forget to take it off. I became very tired of having to wear a watch all the time when I worked. I had to keep accurate records of time spent on every task all work day every day. At least the records had to look accurate...

Comment

fuddy duddys

Hi you all: I worked 36 1/2 years tied to a clock! You are on your own clock! You get up... Eat (and do other things)... work (if you can call it that), although what I do in my shop every day, is work. Because I am retired, I can call it that but some of my buddys call it being a slack a$$ bum. Anyway, the point to my tirade is this: relax you guys, the clock is not necessary. You awake, you eat when hungry, you eat again at dark, you sleep. Forget the new watch: get a bottle of good wine, your choice, and enjoy it in a new place, be it Maui, Mexico, or a B and B down the road. Life is good! We are ALL on this side of the grass! HAVE FUN, Wayne.

Comment

Working...
                              X