X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ2EOmtAVs4
    very luck to walk away from this and the guy on the ground, This happened not far from me. we use this firm to fly use in the our hunting blocks in the Kaimanawa's. not a good year for them it's a shame he is highly regarded as very good pilot

I replayed the moment of impact 20 times and cannot see that he hit anything with the blades or tail rotor. Was any reason for the crash given on the news?? the write up on the video says it appeared to hit a cable but I couldn't see that either
    Last edited by dockrat; 11-23-2011, 02:59 PM.
    Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Yes, very lucky indeed! I saw it on the news last night.
      Will

Comment

How to ruin your entire day in just four seconds flat. I will bet that he was very much in need of new shorts after that. It sure looked violent for his neck vertebrae. I suspect he has a serious whiplash injury that will show up in the next few days.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I don't understand why he was flying so close to the ground. I have seen a few of these types of lifts over the years and there has always been a long enough cable to allow the chopper to stay above obstacles. At least nobody got seriously hurt.

Comment

HOLY SH*T !!!! The pilot sure had a guardian angel that day along with everyone else on the ground there. WOW ! Could have EASILY killed/injured many folks, not to mention turning into a fireball ! Looks like the pilot had his safety harness on, else would have been thrown out, you can seem him being bounced round and hanging from the seat !

Had a chopper crash while lifting something at one of my work's buildings. Don't know much of the details, except some guys got the pilot out safely.

Mike
            Last edited by mlucek; 11-23-2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I'm with dockrat. I can't see any of the cables in the scene being disturbed as the chopper comes apart.

Why is it that the tail always breaks off as soon as the rotor hits something? I've seen several chopper crash videos, and that always happens.
              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by winchman
                I'm with dockrat. I can't see any of the cables in the scene being disturbed as the chopper comes apart.

Why is it that the tail always breaks off as soon as the rotor hits something? I've seen several chopper crash videos, and that always happens.
                There is a spinning drive shaft running down the fuselage to the tail rotor. When you break the tail rotor, that shaft takes off spinning at an angle. Think about having about 3 or 4 feet of 1/4" rod sticking out the back of your lathe and dialing in 2500 rpm. Don't reach out to grab it.

Pops

Comment

It's the sudden torque reaction that happens when the blades hit something. The entire airframe is suddenly trying to spin around the mast and the tail boom can't take the load since the tail rotor is still preventing it from rotating. If you watch the video frame by frame you will see the boom is the very first thing to fail the moment the blades hit and the airframe begins to counter-rotate. The tail rotor and drive are just fine at that point even as the tail boom begins to bend. In normal operation there are never such sudden torque loads imposed on the boom.

Comment

A comment posted (not by me) on Metafilter, concerning this video:

Mayor: "Hey guys...we need to find a way to install the town Christmas tree? I'm open to suggestions."
                    "Well we could find a crane."
                    Mayor: "Nope, too pedestrian. Next."
                    "Use some ropes. And..."
                    Mayor: "NO. Come on people...think creatively, think DANGEROUSLY!"
                    "Flying Monkeys?"
                    Mayor: "Simpson...you're fired, but nice try. Next."
                    "How about a helicopter?"
                    Mayor: "I like it...that spot is cramped, filled with all kinds of metal, buildings, structures. I like it ALOT! Let's do it."

Comment

Kind of a coincidence,, this morning i heard a radio interview concerning the "Sikorsky" helicpter that crashed into the ocean a few years ago while flying 18 men to an offshore oil drilling rig.
                      Cause of the crash was a bad seal that lost all the trans fluid from the rotor shaft trans as i understand it.
                      What amazed me about this is the thing is "SUPPOSED" to run for 30 minutes with "NO" oil, the crashed one only lasted 11 minutes.
                      Amazing the trans could run for 30 minutes without any oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by winchman

Watch strait above the main rotor. Right before the helicopter starts to shake you can see a line winding around the main rotor.
                        Andy

Comment

VPT is right. I single framed through it and finally spotted it. It swings in from the left to right. It isn't visible until just as it swings in from somewhere and it is very thin. You will probably need to watch it on the highest resolution to see it.

It runs vertically as marked by the arrows. It must swing into the rotor disk and is then snagged by a blade hard. I don't think it is winding around the mast until after the damage is done.

I wonder who the wire belonged to?

Comment

Thanks Evan. I see it now.
                            Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

I can't believe it! While the youtube is showing the heli crash, up pops a google ad right in the bottom of the youtube screen selling RC helicopters.

Comment

Working...
                              X