OT - Hernias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Hernias

Starting 4 or 5 months ago I've had this occasional pain, or more of a burning sensation, just about an inch to the right of my most favorite component.
    Shortly after it started I had a routine Dr. App't and brought it up to the Dr. then.
    Was diagnosed as an inguinal hernia. The Dr. offered to make me an app't for surgery, but I declined at that time.

Since then it seems to have gotten more frequent and more intense. So I'm starting to become more receptive to the surgery idea.

I'd like to hear any related experiences any of you folks might have to offer.
    (Pros/Cons/Sucesses/Failures/etc. of surgery.)

Very common and no problem getting it fixed, they'll just slice you open a bit and sew in a plastic mesh that ties the muscle walls together, then stitch you back up again.
    I was 35 when I had mine, and waited more than a year before I did anything about it, and only had it sorted when the feeling that I was getting a 'slight tap on the nuts' was a bit too frequent and a bit too painful.

Went in to hospital at 10.00am, in surgery and out of hospital by 1.00pm. No keyhole surgery for me, I have a 7" scar where they fixed mine, but it depends just how bad yours is. It's 17 years on now and no problems.

I was recommended bed rest for 7-10 days, and another week or so on very light duties after that. However, being a thrusting young executive at the time, I just hired someone to drive me around for a couple of weeks and was back at my desk the next day - albeit hobbling around and walking slowly.
    Getting out of bed is skill you need to re-learn, as is sitting down and standing up - strong arm support needed here.

Other than that, there's only 1 thing you may need to watch out for.
    In my case it was the suppository they give you to stop any bowel movements for a few days.
    When this wears off make sure there is no-one in a 200yd radius that can hear you, as you discover what giving birth must feel like.........

Peter

Comment

I had the same thing, an indirect hernia. The pain starts gradually over time, but the situation only gets worse. My doctor told me I needed the surgery, there weren't any other options. I had the surgery almost exactly a year ago.

The surgery was nothing, total anesthesia. Recovery was quick, I don't think I even used any of the pain meds prescribed. The post op nurse told me no lifting of anything over a couple pounds for 6 weeks. The surgeon said that was nonsense, he said let pain be your guide. Do whatever you feel like after a day or two.

I'd say go for the surgery.

This was my third surgery, but by far the most invasive. The others were Achilles tendon repair and retina. The Achilles was total anesthesia, the retina was only partial. No problems with anesthesia at all with those surgeries.

Depending on your age total anesthesia can be a problem. POCD (post operative cognitive dysfunction) is caused by the anesthesia scrambling your brain, the older you are the more likely you'll have this. I had it for a short time after the surgery. I was working on a home remodel project prior to surgery, nothing complicated. After surgery a couple issues with the project became unsolvable to me. I put the project on hold and came back to it a few months later. The things that stumped me seemed so simple then. I talked with the surgeon about this, he said it wasn't uncommon at all for someone like me in their sixties.

On edit: I saw Peter's post about the large incision. Mine was through the belly button, only a band aid on it when I went home. Any large incision is going to have a long recovery time as opposed to the belly button type surgery.
      Last edited by DR; 11-25-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

My Father had an inguinal,he waited two years which was a mistake,it got bigger and more involved.The surgery took longer,the recovery took longer and he was on a 10lb limit for a month followed by a 40lb limit for six.

Hernias don't get better by themselves they only get worse.If it were me I would get it over with now rather than later.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Lynnyl,
          Dont put off getting a hernia sorted out, the thought is worse than the opp, nowadays it is generally day surgery, I have had two of the damned things, The first was about 30 years ago, that involved a week in hospital, But the last op, was one day only, about 5 years ago, the hernia was caused by being stupid, & lifting a heavy lathe bed alone & adopting the wrong posture in that excercise ( The surgeon,fitted a mesh internally to hold the muscle wall, Guess i am now bionic L O L )
          If you leave these things and they strangulate the bowel, you have serious problems, Getting these things repaired nowadays is not a huge issue, Think about it two weeks sitting reading your favourite engineering books, internet contact with us guys, wife attending to your every whim etc. Except one for a few weeks!--- Only light work, till you are back to normal

For the rest of your life watch how you lift weights and forget the heavy lifting work yourself, get help.

Comment

It will only get worse the longer you wait. Get it done while it's still easy to fix -- or at least easier to fix now than it will be later.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I had mine fixed at an early stage, eight years ago. I was able to return to work the day after (walking slowly).
              Allan Ostling

Comment

I won't discourage you from getting it fixed, but I got one in the same approximate area, maybe slightly more outboard. The doc poked at it a little bit and said "yep, you have a hernia", but did nothing. After a while it quit giving me pain and I don't think about it much. That was 20 years ago.

I have another one at my belly button, and I mentioned it to the prostate surgeon. He said he would fix that when he's in there next week.

Wonder if he will bill extra.
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl
                  Starting 4 or 5 months ago I've had this occasional pain, or more of a burning sensation, just about an inch to the right of my most favorite component.
                  Shortly after it started I had a routine Dr. App't and brought it up to the Dr. then.
                  Was diagnosed as an inguinal hernia. The Dr. offered to make me an app't for surgery, but I declined at that time.

Since then it seems to have gotten more frequent and more intense. So I'm starting to become more receptive to the surgery idea.

I'd like to hear any related experiences any of you folks might have to offer.
                  (Pros/Cons/Sucesses/Failures/etc. of surgery.)
                  Just one caution: choose your surgeon carefully - I had to have one of mine done twice (first on the outside, then on the inside). The first guy was young and apparently not up to speed, so I had to have a repeat session about a year later.

All told, I have had three hernias: left side twice, right side once, and belly button once - one was a double header... (belly button and left side at the same time).
                  TexasTurnado

Comment

Google it-----20 to 30% mortality when, not if, the problem goes to hell in the basket.

Regards the prostate reaming job, Mr. Bye, shake out the Green Laser Surgery technique. Best one day hospital stay I ever had.

--G

Comment

I had the same kind of hernia repaired 2 weeks ago.

Surgery a 8 AM and out at 11:30 AM, very little pain (I didn't need any of the pain meds that they gave me), for the first week getting out of bed or a chair could be interesting but that is about it. The doc said 6 weeks off work (OK by me I have good medical bennies from work), I don't sit at a desk and to be careful about lifting and straining, it could tear out again. I finally went to my shop yesterday for an hour or so, did a little light work, mostly so I wouldn't go insane from boredom and today I raked the leaves in the yard, the wife had to bag them because bending over is still out of the question.

Minor surgery but in a bad place so you need to be careful during your convalescence.
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Had one repaired about 10 yrs ago, out in a couple hours, uncomfortable for a few days. But all in all , a piece of cake. Don't put it off, as has been said, pick your surgeon carefully. get someone that does it regularly. Bob.

Comment

Get it fixed.

And let them supply you with an ice bag. There may be some bruising and swelling, don't stare at it. Things will return to normal in a short time.

I do have a question that is more important than the hernia. Did they listen to your neck?
                          Gene

Comment

I had 2 of them done. DON'T MESS AROUND. If a bowel gets caught in it,you will find yourself in great pain,needing emergency surgery.

Comment

Regarding the doctor to choose: Wife works for a general surgeon, and this is one of the things in his bag of tricks. However, oddly enough, he is MUCH more successful with females, almost to the point that he doesn't really like to do males. That, plus the fact he doesn't like to do any but the most minor things for employees and family members, along with my own reluctance to deal with wife's employer, pretty much dictates I'll choose someone else.
                              ...not that I have any issues with him or his skills; I just think it best to avoid such social relationships in these sorts of things. Kinda like buying/selling from/to relatives.

I now wish I'd had it done a month or so ago, so it wouldn't be a factor during the coming holiday season.
                              -----------

Just curious Topct, about your comment "I do have a question that is more important than the hernia. Did they listen to your neck?"
                              Evidently you know something I don't. What's the relevance with the neck?

Comment

Working...
                              X