Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• release agent

Good morning folks;
    I have a cast iron table that has some threaded holes in it, and at one time or another a bolt was put in one of the holes , and not screwed in far enough, thus when pressure was applied it pulled out some metal leaving a crater...
    Now my question is, I want to fill the crater with JB weld or something similar, and will be screwing a piece of threaded rod in the hole so as not to get the stuff down in the hole, so what do I use as a release agent on the part of the threaded rod thst is exposed so the JB or whatever does not stick ro it, huh?
    Jim
    Jim

Shaque,
    I use Pam cooking spray when I glass or steel bed actions into rifle stocks. Works excellent.

Larry

Comment

I agree with Gator. Pam is excellent. Just ensure you get a good coating of it on the part hat you don't want to be affected by the JB

------------------
      John B
      John B

Comment

Wrinkle up some aluminum foil and then wrap it around a smaller size bolt with some polyethylene plastic (bread bag) around that and thread the whole thing into the hole. After the filler has set up you can hook the aluminum foil out and run a tap in the hole to clean it up if there are any uneven threads. Use Devcon plastic steel, they may even have something called plastic cast iron, I know they have stainless steel and copper since all these products are epoxy loaded with metal powder. Good stuff that has been around a long time. I have some other stuff called "steel stick" that is a putty that you knead together before sticking it in holes. I like plastic steel the best.

Comment

Masking tape works too.

Comment

If you have any Acra-glass from Brownells, the release that comes with it is very good, but not practical to buy for one little hole so I would use Pam as has been mentioned above.

------------------
            Paul G.
            Paul G.

Comment

Pam.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Candle wax might work also.

Comment

A couple coats of good paste wax works as good as any release agent. James

Comment

Pam will work as will paste wax. My concern would be that the threads be smooth enough that they dont grab when removing the bolt.

Comment

I have used paste wax as mold release, and find that because it forms a relatively hard surface, it can still be difficult to remove the pattern. Especially for threads, where the surface area to 'release' is quite large. The other factor is of course, that the threads be uniform, if not, there will be binding, and possible ripping out of the thread forms in the mold. It's best to use something for a release that has some 'squish' to it, like Pam.
                      Someone mentioned candle wax, that's probably ok, but I do recall having a problem once with a fiberglass resin and a waxed mold. It seemed the wax integrated with the resin to some extent, may have been the heat of curing, though.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Polish the threaded rod or bolt that you use with a buffing wheel or similar then give it a single wrap with teflon plumbing tape.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                        X