Jacobs Ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobs Ladder

The krazy klockwork machine is finished, and I'm not about to start something new right away, But-----A goodly portion of my 46 years in design engineering has been spent designing material handling projects. One of the more intriguing elevator type devices, to elevate either round rod or pipe sideways out of a full bin and to "singulate" them is called a "Jacobs Ladder". It works on the principal of a moving staircase. Imagine, if you will, 3 very very narrow flights of stairs, on which the treads tip in a bit towards the staircase, while the risers are vertical. In this case, say the outer two flights of stairs were cut from 1/4" plate, the inner flight cut from 1/2" plate, and all 3 set in very close proximity to each other---maybe .030" to .040" apart. The two outer flights are stationary, while the center flight of stairs "orbits". The orbit carries this center flight up the height of one riser plus perhaps 1/16", and then the orbit causes it to "sink back" between the two outer flights, complete its orbit, and once again rise up between the two outer flights and repeat---over and over again, as in continuosly. The tread area in the center flight would have a slight concavity running along it, put in by a v or ball nosed mill. Now, if a person had a supply of 3/4" or 1" diameter wooden or aluminum balls (I think steel balls would be too heavy)---and if they were "funneled" towards the foot of the stairs---. The moving center flight would pick up a ball, carry it upward, and deposit it on the next higher tread of the two outer flights. On its next orbit, it would move this ball up to the next step, while simultaneously picking up another ball. This would keep happening untill all the treads were full of balls, and they started to fall off the top step---where they would be funneled back to the base to start their journey over again. Wow!!! What a neat piece of animation that would be---especially if the orbiting mechanism was driven by a small steam or gasoline engine. In a "real world" application, for example lifting 48" long pipes out of a bin, there would be a Jacobs Ladder at each end, but for a demo unit using balls, only one ladder would be required.---Surely bears thinking about, doesn't it!!!
    Brian Rupnow

When I see "Jacobs Ladder" I think of arcs n sparks.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Brian, I am thinking, is there something about your Jacob's Ladder that ensures every step if filled? That could be the basis of a novel clock mechanism and display..

Comment

Originally posted by Evan

When I think of Jacobs Ladder I think of a rear suspension lateral locating link for a Sprint car or Dirt modified stock car as it allows the rear end to go thru its full suspension travel without any side to side movement unlike its Panhard bar counterpart.

Comment

My first thoughts were sparks also, but then what you described reminded me of a geneva mechanism. Something rotates, then periodically advances another part of the mechanism. I'm also reminded of something I read in a popular science magazine (popular mechanics maybe) where a toy locomotive was made to run by vibrating a finger of sorts against a toothed wheel. In one direction of the vibrating finger the toothed wheel is advanced. In the other direction the finger drags back and is ready to push against a tooth again.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I resemble that remark

Comment

When I hear about a jacobs ladder I think of an old Frankenstein movie and the jacobs ladder I made when I was a kid from an old pair of rabbit ear antennas and a transformer from a neon beer sign.

JL................

Comment

You need to post a picture or a drawing Brian. I can't picture what you have described in words without spending a long time building a mental picture.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by J.Ramsey
                  When I think of Jacobs Ladder I think of a rear suspension lateral locating link for a Sprint car or Dirt modified stock car as it allows the rear end to go thru its full suspension travel without any side to side movement unlike its Panhard bar counterpart.
                  Exactly what I thought.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!
                  People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Does your Jacobs ladder need to have symetrical pipes to work? I was thinking of a way to feed one meter long pieces of firewood to a saw.
                    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I'm with Evan on this, never heard of any other Jacobs Ladder.
                      This could turn into another "Johnson Bar" thread. :-)
                      ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                        ...lew...

http://www.spitzracing.com/index_files/Page724.htm

Comment

correct me if I'm wrong but I think Brian is describing a type of walking beam conveyor.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                            ...lew...
                            When I think of Jacob's Ladder I think of three things taught to us during childhood:

1. Jacob's Ladder to heaven, described in the Book of Genesis (28:10–19)

2. A "Blue Grass" song often sung during childhood and in later years

3. "Cup & Saucer", "Crow's Foot", and "Jacob's Ladder" all of which were made on our hands using a long piece of string.

Harold
                            For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
                            Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.

Comment

This is what I think of when you mention a jacobs ladder.

JL...................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJn_HqH2cc

Comment

Working...
                              X