OT: cutting Neoprene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: cutting Neoprene

Goal: cutting neoprene straight, clean and efficiently.

Stock: 1" (roughly) diameter black neoprene solid round.

I tried an X-acto type knife, but the blade wanted to wander and the cut came out rugged. Also required more force than I thought.

Ideas? Scroll saw, band saw? Any special cutting tools for this?

I also want to drill an axial thru hole, any special drill bits, commercial or shop made?

Thanks,
    Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Try using plain water as a lubricant when you cut and see if it gets easier.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

demo saw / sabre saw with the serrated blade used for carpet, rubber use water trickling on surface and also try and peel the cut segment away from the stock.

For drilling a sharp drill bit at high speed and cut / feed it fast again use water for lube do not let it rub / or it will burn up on you

Good luck with it mate

Comment

Use a plain knife blade in your reciprocating saw to cut.
        For a hole I make a punch out of tubing, kind of like a leather punch.
        Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

A bit of dish soap to lube the knife will help. Something else that often works is rigidly securing the blade, then rotating the rubber piece around it. In a sense this is like a tubing cutter.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Freeze it and then saw it.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Not sure exactly what shape you're after, but just this last weekend, I needed to cut a clean rubber disk out of some 0.062 Buna sheet. Tried the same things as you and got a ragged edge. Finally made a "cookie cutter" from a short piece of 3/4" EMT, sharpened on the a belt grinder. Used a press to get a clean cutout on a piece of wood. I only needed one, so I didn't even try to harden. The edge of the tool was a little distorted, but it probably would have made a few more.

A pic of the tool and the disk:

http://bullfire.net/Temp/IMG_1722aa.JPG
              For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

How about a PVC cutter? I've used mine to cut rubber hose squarely with good result.
                http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/PC-1375/

Comment

We had to do this at work recently..It was a nightmare..We Had to glue neoprene to a bunch of strips of metal and trim off any excess...Used a saber saw to cut the excess off.Which worked ok.Only problem was if the neoprene started to peel off the metal just a tiny bit it would start to vibrate or flop around ,and at that point it obviously just wont cut.sandwiching or clamping it would have helped.Never heard of these other methods,nobody knew what to do with the stuff, making holes in it was even worse

Comment

You know, it cuts rather well in the lathe with an x-acto knife in the toolpost, or tube cutter in the tailstock.

Comment

Working...
                    X