Anyone make a yo-yo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone make a yo-yo?

I might want to make my son a yo-yo this year....probably aluminum.

I saw one over at the CNC Cookbook, but I was thinking something simple. I'd like to hear of anyone's tips...I'm not sure about how to join the two halves...like what the axle should be like.

I'm sure I could figure something out myself, but I always do better after asking here first.

Thanks all,

John

ps. the only threads I can cut are with a tap or die.

A 1/4" dowel pin pressed in would work fine for the axle. That's what I used in my wooden yo-yo.

Comment

I'd press a steel axle into each yoyo half. No threading required.

Comment

Any reason you can't just make it out of one piece?

Part off tool down the center?

Then you'll have a custom aircraft quality billet yo-yo.

Comment

I would use a steel axle too. An aluminum axle will turn the string black. A yoyo is an excellent idea. I have been trying to think of a small gift for my grandson's birthday. He always gets shortchanged because his birthday is Dec 20.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Gee Whizz! Just out of curiosity I did a Google search for "aluminum yo-yos" and got lots of information. Basic engineering principle at work is a thin shell with a heavy outer ring for the maximum inertia.

Here's an example site that shows some...

http://www.yo-yo.com/index.php/site/...o-yos/de-luxxe

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 11-30-2011, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
              I would use a steel axle too. An aluminum axle will turn the string black. A yoyo is an excellent idea. I have been trying to think of a small gift for my grandson's birthday. He always gets shortchanged because his birthday is Dec 20.
              He should consider himself somewhat lucky. Mine is on the 28th and my girlfriend's is the 25th.

Comment

You can find the bearings here: http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTGY/YoYo
                But I don't know where to find the plans to go with them

p.s. And of course you'll need to do some precision machining to make them work better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtGOp27XJ5g
                Last edited by elf; 11-30-2011, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Bearings? What? Use a music wire axle, heat the aluminum and press the sides on. Leave the appropriate gap. That's a yoyo. Don't need no stinkin bearings

My first entrepreneurial venture was when I was in grade 4 or so. Yoyos were popular then, but the strings left something to be desired. So I made my own strings, which worked great. You could get lots of sleep time, do all the tricks, and they would last pretty good. I made lots of those and sold them at school.

One of my most infamous tricks, which I played only once, was to see how close to the fluorescent lights I could cast the yoyo without actually hitting them. So- I managed to wipe out two 8 footers in our cafe one day. What a mess. My sister took the cake though- she climbed up on the counter to get a glass for some water and she managed to hang from the glass shelf where all the water glasses were. The shelf broke- she and all the glass hit the floor. I don't know how she didn't get cut. She was just sitting there, surrounded by broken glass, crying. I caught hell for that one too.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
                    Bearings? What? Don't need no stinkin bearings
                    I'll second that. I always thought that part of the challenge was keeping the damn thing spinning long enough to pull off a trick.

Comment

I'd be careful about the weight. You don't want to give a child a heavy metal object on a string.

Tom
                      Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

NASA once made a multiton yo-yo that was dropped with a crane as part of some educational project. I didn't see the research paper, only an account in the popular press, but they said something about wood being shown to be the "ideal" yo-yo material with whatever criteria they were using for "ideal".

Comment

what am i missing - if you used bearings, you'd have a yo, not a yo-yo. a yo-yo goes down and up.....how would ever cause it to catch and come back up if you used bearings?

I'd even go further and suggest the coefficient of friction between steel and string would be insufficient to make yo-yo, again you end up with a yo.

The yo-yo suggestion has come up before....made me wonder if the bearing proponents have used one? Remember what it was like, there was some sensitivity to getting the right tension (via twists) on the string so it would catch and come up

or are you bearings guys going to get really fancy - have some sort of accelerometer lockout, flick of finger and the dumbbells lock to the axle that's fixed on the string
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I haven't been paying attention to developments in yo-yo technology until now. Boy, have I ever been missing a lot. Apparently you can easily part with $100 for a decent yo-yo. I haven't figured out what makes them so expensive other than the likelyhood that they are made from spacecraft rated NASA approved age hardened aluminum billet.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I don't like those splayed out shaped ally jobs.

If you're going to catch a yoyo at high speed and not hurt your hand, it needs to be shaped for comfort, as B B King said.

I agree that you don't want bearings if you're going to walk the dog. You need the right polish on the axle, possibly to match the string, so it catches at just the right jerk. I reckon you need a highly polished set of flanks, so you don't abrade the string as it winds up, but I may be wrong.
                              Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Working...
                              X