O.T. New novel cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. New novel cover

This is the proposed cover to my new novel. What do you think? Lost at Starvation Lake is the sequel to Survival at Starvation Lake.
    Gary P. Hansen
    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

nice job, cant wait to read it, looks like a white knuckle job!
    regards
    mark

Comment

Do you have a publisher?

Good cover art. Have you considered having the TurboPorter in a descending attitude? It might increase the sense of drama.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Looks Great!

Comment

I changed it a bit to show what I mean and also gave it some more "Pop".

Just an example, please don't be insulted. I used to do graphics art as part of my living.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
            Do you have a publisher?

Good cover art. Have you considered having the TurboPorter in a descending attitude? It might increase the sense of drama.
            Not to start a float plane thread hijack, but the picture sure looks like a Turbo Otter not a TurboPorter. The vertical stabilizer and the cockpit window are the wrong shape for a TurboPorter.
            I still like the cover and think it's super cool.

Comment

Looks like the tail has been "photoshopped"

Comment

To small for an Otter.
                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

The tail is cut off in the original image. I didn't bother putting it back in. I think MM is right, the Porter has a round last window and a little longer nose.

Comment

The shadows look all wrong in Evan's version. The clouds go along with a sun just above the horizon. A sun high enough for Evan's dive would result in a different sky.

Nice cover.
                    Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

All I had to work with is the original image. It isn't 3D and I didn't spend a lot of time on it. It is just a suggestion.

Comment

The plane is a DHC-3 Turbine-powered Otter. Thanks for your effort Evan. I think that my daughter's cover fits more with the story line as the plane goes down only after being engulfed by a storm because of a combination lightning strike and a pilot error. However, I think your idea to brighten up the lettering is a good one.

Sarah is a graphic designer for the Marine Corps and designed the covers of both my novels. Tragically, her husband USMC Engineer Paul J. Miller was killed in action in Afghanistan on July 19, 2010, the same day Survival at Starvation Lake was published. Gary P. Hansen
                        In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Gary, great to see that your not a "one shot wonder" . I really enjoyed Starvation Lake and have been looking forward to a follow on. The art looks great ( and I too am a pilot).

Comment

Thanks tmc 31. Last spring I received an email telling me that Survival at Starvation Lake was selling in the top 3% of all books. That is not as good as it sounds. Less than 3% of all books ever sell 1,000 copies. So, just because Survival at Starvation Lake has sold over 1,000 copies puts it in the top 3%.
                            Gary P. Hansen

Comment

Excuse me, but that puts you in a select group of authors. Sure, there are a lot of authors but apparently you have sold more books than 97% of them. That is a heck of a lot of people to beat at the same game.

However, as usual it isn't that simple, not by a long shot. Here is a very informative explanation of how it works in the publishing business, especially relevant to a first time author.

http://askaliteraryagent.blogspot.co...ell-to-be.html

PS: I have had work published in magazines and newspapers (Not just letters to the editor) and have even had my content on the front page of the local papers and magazines several times. I have also had one of my astrophotos featured on a national science TV program. But I have not yet written a book or had it published so you are well ahead of me.
                              Last edited by Evan; 12-03-2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X