sandblaster offer ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sandblaster offer ??

I have been offered a compressor and a sandblaster by a retired gent I know he's American and off at the moment to Florida,I'll see him when he gets back. I assume their small although I havent yet seen them are they likely to be useful enought to buy for an amatuer like me.Also what do I need to look out for?Alistair
    Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 12-04-2011, 12:35 PM.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

other than to pass it on at profit ..i cant see what use it would be to you alistair ..

sand blaster diy uses .

car restoration .

cleaning brickwork

maybe etching ..glass or s/s

and generally cleaning up rusty or corroded things.

all the best.markj

Comment

A sandblaster is a nice thing to have around if you have the room. It is especially good for cleaning up welds or hard solder joints to remove residual flux and to give the joint a good appearance. No question that the compressor would be of value.

The kicker is the CFM (the amount of air the compressor can displace - 'cubic feet per minute') It takes a lot of CFM to make a bead/sand blaster work efficiently. Typically, with a small compressor, the compressor will run down in the middle of using the sand blaster and you have to wait for it to build up pressure again. Ask him to "show you how it works" and in using it at his place you can evaluate it and decide whether or not you want it bad enough to lug it home.

Comment

If youre like many of us with a penchant for wanting to make things that are old and rusty look new again, then I would say a media blaster and compressor are almost a requirement.

Depending upon the type of media blaster it is, and the type of compressor, you may or may not want them though. If its a pot blaster (looks kinda like a vacuum cleaner), you need either a seperate "dirty" room nowhere near your machine tools, or to use it outside. If its a blasting cabinet and it has fairly decent seals in it then its easily used wherever needed. Regarding blast cabinets specifically, theyre kinda like other machines - you can do small work in a big cabinet, but cant do big work in a small one. Make sure regardless, that the cabinet is sturdy enough to hold weight-wise whatever you want to put in there. The downside to large blasting cabinets is simply the space requirement, so plan accordingly. You should be able to find semi-universal parts to most cabinets, and with some very basic fabrication you can either create or modify an existing one to work with most any company's parts - there simply isnt much to them.

Compressors OTOH come in a variety of styles, and every style and brand has its own quirks. You really should guarantee that you can still find parts for that model before purchase. Assuming you can, the most important thing is to simply ensure the compressor flows enough air and has enough duty cycle for your needs. Luckily, media blasting requires one of the highest flow rates of typical compressor operations, so assuming the PO used them together, you should be good.

I say post pics and/or more info for further assistance plz.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I agree with what has been posted above, but sure a nice thing to have WHEN one needs one .
          If you have any smaller items to clean, old tools etc it sure would be handy, i have a friend with a small one set up in a spare room, exhausted outside, and he cleans fossils with it, as that is his hobby.

Comment

Couldn't live without mine and they (multiple) get plenty of use. It's not just for cleaning or restoring cars. You can use it for etching metal or glass too. On metal, it gives a nice soft matte look before plating. And it's great for etching glass with patterns or designs if you have an artist in the house.

Comment

Good to hear from you!!! Fred

Comment

I'll first have to see what he'll want for it and condition etc he said it has'nt been used much.I have anice big compressor anyway which will handle it.Thanks so far and extra thanks Mark I alway particularly welcome your advice cause you've been here and know my set up.Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

If it is the pressure pot style you pretty much have to use it outside and you should have a good respirator.

If it is a cabinet style you need to figure out what to do with the exhaust. If it has a filter/reclaimer that is cool but if it just has a tube exhaust you are going to want to vent that outside or run a shopvac with a super high quality bag in it and probably still wear a respirator.

They need tons of DRY air. Your typical oil-less compressor really isn't rated to run something like a media blaster for very long. I have a 5hp 80 gallon compressor rated at 18CFM continuous and my media blaster cabinet will make it break a sweat.

Nice thing with a media blaster is you can get into all the cracks, corners, crevices etc that a wire brush etc just can't get into.

Comment

Working...
                  X