O/T Where were you on Dec. 7 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T Where were you on Dec. 7 1941

I am sure there must be a few members who are old enough to remember that day which is fast fading from our history. Wonder if a few would care to tell a little about their memories of that day.
    thanks
    ed
    ps born in 1944 so no memory

Sitting on a blanket in the front yard, watching my elder sister crash her bike and break her collar bone. I was 2 years 8 months old. That is the second clear memory I have of my life. I didn't realize the significance of the day in global or national terms, of course, but I do remember the day.

Pops

Comment

Originally posted by gr8life
      Wonder if a few would care to tell a little about their memories of that day.
      Gas masks and air raid sirens, WW11 started in 1939 for us.
      Max.
      Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 12-06-2011, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Where was I?

That depends on whether you believe in reincarnation or not.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I was four months and three days old almost to the minute. My dad said he blamed WW II on me whenever I was a particular PITA.
          Last edited by Forrest Addy; 12-06-2011, 11:46 PM.

Comment

I was 10 months old. Not sure where I was at that age,though.

Comment

What was so special about that day?
              Precision takes time.

Comment

.RC., that was the day the US Navy figured out that Pearl Harbor was not a country club, but a highly strategic military base, and probably ought to be run like one. It was also the day the Battleship became obsolete.

Comment

Not born as of yet, but my then future father-in-law steamed into Pearl 3 days later as the C.O. of a Naval oilier. He then spent most of WWII in the South Pacific.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom
                    Gas masks and air raid sirens, WW11 started in 1939 for us.
                    Max.
                    Yep.How true.
                    Sitting in an air raid shelter listening to the bombs drop,wondering why the US of A wouldn`t help us.

Comment

I was about 20 years shy of being born but its the year that my current house im living in was built.

I heard allot about it and the hitler era from my parents as if it just happened and it kinda did, now it does make me wonder - so many things that drastically altered the outcome and how now its just taken for granted, im sure some kids don't even hear about it at all growing up.

war is ugly but sometimes it has to happen, there was no mistaking the task at hand and everybody pulled together to achieve success, I just wish things were more clear for the people we put in harms way today,

war also violates a direct law of nature - instead of weeding out the weak and sickly it takes our very best and strongest from us --- there is no doubt that we and other country's for that matter have lost our very finest...

Im not a big movie buff but I just seen the hollywood version of it on the history channel yesterday - there was of course some very good graphics but it was hard for me to take Alec baldwin seriously - he just looked like he was about to crack a joke at any second... That hot babe was a huge distraction - so much so that it was kinda like watching two different shows,
                      even in the blood and the gore I was still checking her out, very very nice...
                      And yes Ben afflack did a real good job with his acting skills - but that's just the thing - you should not see a movie about pearl harbor and walk away talking about the actors... but that's hollywood - they gotta sell tickets I suppose

Comment

Four months short of being born. One of my first memories is watching my dad mount some tires in the kitchen with the curtains closed. The next step was to get the tires dirty so people wouldn't know they were new. I think they came off the docks curtesy of Harry Bridges and friends. I also remember seeing my second cousin stopping by to say "goodbye" before he left for England. He was killed on his first mission when bombing the Romanian Oil refineries.

Comment

neither of my parents had been born yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark McGrath
                            Yep.How true.
                            ............,wondering why the US of A wouldn`t help us.
                            The Pres at that time was doing his best to get us into the war..... The Germans would not rise to the bait he provided and do a provocation of sufficient magnitude.....

But he did manage to get the Japanese backed sufficiently into a corner to feel forced to act..... so it did eventually work. Just took a while..... Congress acts slowly, and not always in lock-step with the Pres... as you may have noticed.

He needed an overt act to kick-start Congress..... As somewhat more recent history may have pointed out......

Me? I was noplace at all at the time.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

I've always had the "what if" question...the bulk of my family were or would have been "c/o", conscientious objectors (the reason previous generations migrated was due to mandatory military service for countries that no longer exist) so some spent the war either in camps (often remote planting trees/agricultural work) or as medical staff.

I guess it never really hit home until much later how different life was for children my parents age who were living in countries where the war was actually taking place...I worked with one guy my father's age who lived in Southampton at the time...his memories were of men unable to serve and boys his age trying to sandbag important buildings and trying to get to higher stories to put out fires from the night bombing raids...very, very different life from a central Canadian farm boy

Comment

Working...
                              X