Dividing head use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dividing head use.

I have a job where I have to put 100 serrations on the OD of a detail.
    Have a dividing head to use, with a 20 hole plate...
    I have never used one of these before, can someone please explain to me , in
    very simple terms how this would work....

Much appreciated if someone can help.

100 divisions

If you have a typical dividing head which needs forty turns of the handle for one rotation of the workpiece & a twenty hole plate you will need to pass eight holes for every division: 40 x 20 = 800 รท 100 = 8.

Ray

Comment

Well, according to Marv Klotz's handy little program and assuming you have a 40:1 DH, you can use that 20 hole plate to make 100 divisions. With the 20 hole plate installed, you would move the crank 8 holes for each 1/100. You do actually have a dividing head and not a "super spacer", right?

Tom
      Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

The program will work regardless of what the DH gear ratio is. All he has to do is put the proper value in the input data file that feeds the program.
        Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
        http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

That is 8 holes not counting the one you start from.

Comment

Anytime you need to use a dividing head, you just need to make your gear ratio and number of division into a fraction. For a 40:1 head, the fraction is 40/N where N is the number of divisions. So in this case 40/100, which reduces to 4/10, and again to 2/5. Then we come to your plate. Find a hole circle that can be divided into fifths, like your 20 hole circle, and then go 2/5ths of a turn, or 8 holes, like everyone else said. You use the sector arms to keep track of your holes. Do not count the hole the indexing pin is in when you count your 8 holes.
            Stuart de Haro

Comment

Originally posted by H380
              That is 8 holes not counting the one you start from.
              That "should" be obvious. If you were told to move 1 hole I would
              hope you don't let it sit where it was. :-)
              ...lew...

Comment

Thank you all for the information. I have heard and read some about these things and had just a faint idea of its use...just enough to screw the pooch.....
                Sounds as tho it will be a fairly easy job to get done.

Thanks again !

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
                  That "should" be obvious. If you were told to move 1 hole I would
                  hope you don't let it sit where it was. :-)
                  ...lew...
                  It would probably be better if the directions were to move "N" spaces, rather than holes. I can attest to the fact that counting the origin is not unusual. It seems to happen most often when measuring "threads per inch".
                  Don Young

Comment

Make it a rule(r)

Don,

if you count the first hole as zero as you do on a rule you will be right.

The holes spanned by the dividing arms - for the OP's 8 - are:

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Comment

Working...
                    X