For South Bend Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For South Bend Owners

The new 2012 calender for all of our South Bend owners can be found here. My buddy Dave makes one every year.
    http://gunsmithing.web.officelive.com/DownLoads.aspx

tell me somethhing

about your buddy Dave ...is English his second language.

all the best.markj

Comment

Nice calendar, thanks for posting!

I like January, but there seems to be a mistake in it. The picture clearly shows a competent and thoughtful elderly man. Aren't ads supposed to only have young beautiful people in them?

The picture reminds me A LOT of my grandfather. Same hair, same glasses, same mustache.

Old lathes are beautiful. The new ones have no soul.
      Last edited by Tony Ennis; 12-09-2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

...is English his second language.
        Touche'! I'm getting some good laughs here today.
        Last edited by lynnl; 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM.
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

It would help if I looked at 2012, not 2011.
          Last edited by Tony Ennis; 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
            tell me somethhing

about your buddy Dave ...is English his second language.

all the best.markj
            Ah, you noticed! Dave's a Californian. English is not the primary language there. I would dare say that Mexican is. For those that would be tempted to correct me by telling me that's Spanish, don't bother. Spaniards would argue the point.
            Hey, what can I say? Dave's not a Word Meister. I bust his chops about his spelling, or lack of it, constantly but he refuses to use spell check. Yes, I told him about August "Word War" and that "Sales Man" is one word. He's still a great guy though!

If there are other spelling or grammatical errors you can file your complaint directly with Dave.

Comment

Tony said," Old lathes are beautiful, New lathes have no soul" I guess, that i must concur with Tony on this one,,I guess though if i was a departmental manager in a large production shop, If the machine i had purchased was an ugly dog, which did the work, pretty damned quick, it would save me some sleepless nights

Nowadays we live in a minimalistic world, everything is designed to look like a square box, walk down the isle in many of todays production plants, and all one will see is souleless cased in boxes with a window, which one could not really fall in love with, The same goes for our modern monotonous shopping centres, in every town there is no variation, go from city to city, same international names , same crap, no variety

Back to the old machine tools, These old things had the very chareacter of the designer imprinted upon it, Old lathes, by the United States concerns, such as-- Southbends, American tool Works Co, Niles Bement Ponds, And British products, such as Langs lathes, Denhams, Dean Smiths, and lathes by the old continent of Europe machines, had lovely flowing lines , stylised castings etc, everything was pleasing to ones eye, These old designers were artists in metal.

I think i really fell in love with nice machine tools from a very early age, Dad worked in a machine shop during the wartime & when i was about five years of age, he took me into the plant where they had a batch of little South Bends, I know he always had his beady eyes on them, fast forward to when i was fifteen, The turner who lived next door to us, took me to see his lathe at work, It was a big cone drive Springfield, I thought it was the loveliest of machines

When i went to night school, (15 years of age) the lathe i operated was a 6" centre height cone drive Colchester of 1930 vintage, I was lucky enough to obtain one some few years back,

I guess old iron gets into ones blood The passing of times brings change, Do we always accept this change thrust upon us?

Back to look at my old machines & feed the pet cockroach!

Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by oil mac
                Tony said," Old lathes are beautiful, New lathes have no soul" I guess, that i must concur with Tony on this one,,
                Dan.
                I think all SB owners would also concur with this. Off the top of my head the only thing I would have liked SB to have done differently is the Cross Slide. That's one area where the benefits of a flat, square, 'T' slotted surface would have out weighed the aesthetics of gentle curves.

Comment

That guy in March is gonna have some trouble operating the lathe from there... I'd worry about his hand, too, but he's close to the Off Switch...
                  "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Working...
                  X