Don't wear open top boots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't wear open top boots!

Over the weekend I made an adaptor for my new diesel pump for my farm diesel tank. The old pump had a 1.75inch diameter with a 11 tpi thread on the bottom that threaded directly into the top of the tank. The new pump has a 2.25inch with a 10 tpi thread. No problem. I grabbed a piece of 90mm diameter hydraulic rod and turned it down to the appropriate two sizes. One internal thread and one external thread. Needless to say I had a lot of chips laying around and in the chip pan of my lathe.

It is such a cool thing to chuck up a big round chunk of steel and turn it into a small round chunk of steel. All the great advice I got from Pixman as to what tooling and insert to use for what job is really paying off in time saved. Taking 8mm depth of cut to bring the piece down to size and having a near mirror finish was really rewarding for this newbie!

So back on track. Two lessons learned. Keep your chip pan and floor clean.
    Second don't wear boots that a small part can fall into when you part it off.

I had a lot swarf in the pan and on the floor from my fuel pump adaptor. Then I need to make a couple of small 10mm wheels for a sliding door from our kitchen to the dining room that is used to pass food through.

I parted off the small little wheels and went to grab them as it fell and it was hot so I yanked my hand back. Small part fell in the chip pan I thought. No problem I get down and start trying to find this little part in about three inches of swarf. I looked and looked from the front and the back. I looked all around on the floor. Maybe half hour invested in trying find the little part. No luck. So I just make another one and call it good. I go in the house and into the boot room to take off my jacket and boots. As I pull off my boot guess what comes out? Yep, my small little part I was looking for.

Lesson learned I hope.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Being a professional welder (weldor?) I learned long ago about wearing open top boots when working for a different reason!

Comment

I also know not to wear them while welding for all the obvious reasons..... I learned that the hard way 40 years ago.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by radkins
        Being a professional welder (weldor?) I learned long ago about wearing open top boots when working for a different reason!
        As a teenager I spent a summer cutting up railroad cars for salvage... I found any boot can be a problem if you can't get it off fast enough

Comment

And a corollary to boots rule is to clear the chip pan before you get out the thread wires to measure the thread you're turning in the chuck.
          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

You know youre working hard when your boots either catch fire or begin to melt.
            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Your not taking deep enough cuts with your carbide if you can wear open toed boots!

My lathe spits out blue and black chips that will melt into plastic that they land on... And flesh.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Black Moons you need glasses. I wrote open TOP, not open toed. Is there such a thing as open toed boots? Don't worry my chips were blue and hot. I was taking 8mm deep cuts. 16mm off the diameter in one pass. How much more should I take?????? I only have 14hp on my lathe.

Comment

Oh, sorry. I guess im the only one who wears really foolish footware at the lathe. :P
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Ha, no I wore my tennis shoes down there once and that was a serious mistake. They were garbage after a session with steel. It was melted into everything and the laces were embedded with hand shredders.

I have at times come away from manual turning of steel with carbide looking like my hands were shoved into an angry bee hive.

What exactly is an "open top boot"? Aren't they all open at the top?

Comment

Originally posted by photomankc
                      What exactly is an "open top boot"? Aren't they all open at the top?
                      Think of the typical "muck" rubber boots seen around farms, or some varieties of "cowboy" slip on boots that dont have laces. They tend to be a bit larger/looser at the top around your calf, which allows them to fill up nicely with foreign objects.
                      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Of course they are open top. Make sure you wear pants that can be dressed over the boot rather than in the boot.

This reminds me, my father in law used to work at a foundry for a spell and he took a small slug of nearly molten aluminum down his boot. He was off work for several months while it healed.
                        Last edited by Evan; 12-12-2011, 02:48 PM.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

When I was a kid, its wasn't a good idea to wear open boots around grandpa's dog pen either. Things could get wet.

be

Comment

I was turning down a pin on a 6" drill collar prior to threading and the store man came over to speak to me, putting his foot on the chip pan opening up his wide open boot top. Just then my carbide chipped changing the trajectory of the chips right into his boot. I have never seen a boot removed with such lightening speed. Peter
                            The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

At least you found the part. Even without instructions on the heel!

Comment

Working...
                              X