2.5 inch chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 inch chuck?

I have a tiny Adept lathe, barely a handful but it qualifies as a lathe nonetheless:-

I have just bored out the headstock and made an oversize spindle, 10mm up from 3/8th. Just a plain shaft so far.

I would like something that 'looks the part' more than that little drill chuck, a 2.5" chuck would be nice!

3" chucks are available if I want to spend that much money on what is really a novelty or I could make a back plate and/or a centre.

Any ideas of how hobbyists used to make little chucks for a lathe like this?

Thanks.

Many of the pictures I found show it with either a faceplate of interesting design, or a dog chuck. I would think you could produce either fairly easily.

It's not often I see a gap bed lathe in that size
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

The Adept 3 jaw chuck would have to be within my capabilities but it sure does look ugly! Their nice little 4 jaw would be a great find!

Ah well, time to make a face plate I think..

Comment

Would this happen to be small enough for you ?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-3-...threaded/H8030

Comment

I believe the chuck on my uni is smaller than 3" but I can't imagine finding one of those very cheap.

Andy

Comment

There should be 2 1/2 inch chucks still around somewere.

My little "Wade CVA" has a 2 1/2 chuck, a 3 jaw, and a friend has an Atlas 618 that came with a 2 1/2 inch chuck besides the 4inch that is presently on it.

Comment

Sherline has 2.5 inch chucks $120 new. http://sherline.com/prices.htm

Bob

Comment

how did you go about boring out the spindle ..i have a super adept ..mint condition except someone used it without realising they are suposed to oil it....and they fitted a 6000 rpm motor...so the bearing surfaces probably lasted a few mins.

it has a tiny 4 jaw chuck with it..no countershft

all the best.markj

Comment

Unless you will settle for a 3" chuck you might as well do something else. I see them all the time for $40 to $65. Most are 3/4 -16 mount. TAIG has a 3 jaw for $65. I have a TAIG lathe and the chuck is quality.

Comment

Check this one out the arbor is just threaded on
                    http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-...ank-65132.html
                    Craftsman 101.07403
                    Grizzly G0704
                    4x6 Bandsaw

Comment

Originally posted by j.bain87
                      Would this happen to be small enough for you ?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-3-...threaded/H8030

Yes, thanks, that looks small enough. I wonder if they would ship to New Zealand?

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                        I believe the chuck on my uni is smaller than 3" but I can't imagine finding one of those very cheap.
                        Thanks. There is one of those machines for sale here right now but they want nearly $400 and it is very dirty and rusty. It is a slightly earlier version than yours, there are no accessories but it does have the chuck.

Of course if I bought that I would have to 'restore' that lathe too and I would still be short one chuck!

Yours looks very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                          There should be 2 1/2 inch chucks still around somewere.

My little "Wade CVA" has a 2 1/2 chuck, a 3 jaw, and a friend has an Atlas 618 that came with a 2 1/2 inch chuck besides the 4inch that is presently on it.

Dang! There was one of those Wade lathes sold last week, looked to be in very nice condition too! I think it went for a bit over $200. But again, if I bought that lathe I would not have been able to rat bits off it and I would still be one chuck short!

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                            how did you go about boring out the spindle ..i have a super adept ..mint condition except someone used it without realising they are suposed to oil it....and they fitted a 6000 rpm motor...so the bearing surfaces probably lasted a few mins.

it has a tiny 4 jaw chuck with it..no countershft

all the best.markj

The Super Adept seems to have been a leap above the standard Adept.

I bored the head with a D bit, I used a length of 3/8 in my 'big' lathe to align everything with the Adept lathe clamped to the tool post.

Comment

Originally posted by kd4gij
                              Check this one out the arbor is just threaded on
                              http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-...ank-65132.html
                              Thanks, if I have to resort to buying modern that is another candidate.

Comment

Working...
                              X