X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lakeside53
    replied
    Originally posted by Scottike
    I have always considered Microsoft products barely adequate for their intended purpose.
    In my opinion, they only tend to actually improve their products when faced with competition that threatens their stranglehold on the market.
    They're great about adding a bunch of bells and whistles to coverup inherent shortcomings in their software, and doing very little to fix actual problems.
    I'm pretty confident that their AV software is no different.
    There are quite a few other free AV programs to choose from that I'm sure are better than what Microsoft is putting out.
    I think I smell a bigot...

What happened to "Innocent until proven guilty"? You're just saying it must be crap because it's MS? OK, it's your opinon, but... have you actually tried it? You say there are other free AV that MUST be better because they are not MS - have you tried them?

IMO... it's a good as other decent MS products. Like it or not, they do make some good products. The difference.... this one is free because they are "making a market" by giving it away. I expect it to be a paid service year or two.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 12-15-2011, 10:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Strange double post incident.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I have always considered Microsoft products barely adequate for their intended purpose.
    Microsoft is hamstrung by the FTC. If they make the bundled or free product good enough to kill the demand for other similar products they will be charged with anticompetitive trade practices. They have been around that bush in the past with IE and were fined very heavily in Europe. It's the reason that bundled programs such as Wordpad are so feature sparse.

Leave a comment:

• Ian B
    replied
    +1 for MSE.

There are those who don't like anything that Microsoft does, but I'm a happy Win 7, MS Office user, and so far, MSE has done fine for me.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• topct
    replied
    I am using Security essentials also. It is working great. I have it set to scan once a week and have not had a single problem since installing it. It does not slow the computer or my wizbang high speed connection down as far as I can tell.

I had tried a few of the so called free AV programs and they are total crap compared to this. Most of them were only free to download and scan, find some bugs, and then ask for money to fix the problems.

Thank you Evan for suggesting it.

Leave a comment:

• bewards
    replied
    I've used it at work for a year now with no issues. I don't go to really dangerous sites though and I use Firefox with Add Block + and NoScript. I use my head on any email attachment and don't open one unless absolutely certain.
    Having said that, I use Norton at home because there are others there who may not be as careful.

be

Leave a comment:

• fixerdave
    replied
    Originally posted by Scottike
    ...They're great about adding a bunch of bells and whistles to coverup inherent shortcomings in their software, and doing very little to fix actual problems....
    Agreed, but MSE is oddly (for Microsoft) clean in its interface. That's why I use it where I'm stuck using or forced to support Windows. Never seen an issue with it. On the other hand, I've never seen it catch a virus either, so I can't say how well it actually does the job.

Leave a comment:

• Scottike
    replied
    In my opinion, they only tend to actually improve their products when faced with competition that threatens their stranglehold on the market.
    They're great about adding a bunch of bells and whistles to coverup inherent shortcomings in their software, and doing very little to fix actual problems.
    I'm pretty confident that their AV software is no different.
    There are quite a few other free AV programs to choose from that I'm sure are better than what Microsoft is putting out.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    I have it on dozens of computers now... some 2-3 years, and no issues at all. I changed over all my worthless friends who ignore all "renew" notices on paid software, or worse, ignore the "renew" on certain free package! My "support" calls have gone down dramatically.

I particularly like that it is not in your face all the time... which is why I personally moved from first Norton, then Kaspersky... both of which are good packages.

But... as Evan says.... nothing will protect you from a brand new virus, or if you choose to continously ignore the warnings from the AV package that you are about to do something unsafe. Just think about it as a seat belt... works as long as the driver is safety minded, and occassionally protects you from the unforseen.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 12-15-2011, 01:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mochinist
    replied
    I've been using it since around the time it came out, on a couple different computers, some running XP and the other WIN7, no problems on any of them. I set up my parents computer(XP) the exact same way and they still seem to be able to get a virus or some sort of malware every couple months, I dont get it. Im about ready to make them buy an apple computer, as those seem to be set up better for computer illiterate people. Before you apple fans get huffy and tell me about all of your computer experience, Im not saying if you use one you are a computer dummy
    Last edited by mochinist; 12-15-2011, 01:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rws
    replied
    No problems with the 2 PCs I have it on.

Leave a comment:

• SmoggyTurnip
    replied
    I have been using it for over a year on 3 computers. On 2 of the 3 it eventually slowed the computers down to a crawl. I contactacted Microsoft and they suggested uninstalling and reinstalling. That fixed the problem but left a bad taste in my mouth.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I use it. However, no antivirus software can protect your computer from "zero-day" exploits. That is a term for exploits that have been discovered by hackers first and the first time that anybody knows about it is when it is "in the wild" attacking computers. Antivirus software tries to predict what may look like a virus but it isn't very successful so a zero day attack can and will bypass the protection. Zero day attacks are becoming more common.

Leave a comment:

• DR
    started a topic OT, anti-virus, Microsoft Security Essentials

OT, anti-virus, Microsoft Security Essentials

What do you computer guru's think of Microsoft's free anti-virus?

I've been using it for a couple months with no problems.

The only way I found out about it was from a used computer dealer where I bought a second computer for the shop. Maybe I don't get out enough, but I would think it would have made the news a bit more that Microsoft had this program.

Wonder what this does to the non-free anti-virus software companies?
Working...
X