This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile updates

The forum has experienced a large increase in active membership lately. One thing I have noticed is that many members have not entered information on their approximate location. This can cause difficulty when questions are asked or advice offered that is location dependent. It only takes a minute to add some location info to your profile.

Click on the User CP link in the top left of the page. Then select Edit profile from the choices in the left column. Scroll down to Additional information and put something meaningful in the Where you live box. Click on Save changes and you are done.

Thank you.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Hey EVAN, 52N 122W doesn't mean much to many users, but... it is a little better than nothing

Comment

Paste those numbers into google and you are there.
      Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Yes, One thing many don't realise, Is you can be exact or as vauge as you want. (Well, Please be a little more exact then 'Earth', That does not narrow it down much for us..)

But even what country can be a BIG help when finding you the awnsers to questions. (Mills and lathes all spin backwards below the equator don'tch know! Just joking.. But some companys only ship to some countrys, And others will just have insane shipping/import dutys compaired to local companys)

No need to get any more exact them what city your in, for privacy reasons. And if you are conserned, No reason to put the *correct* city in, Just one nearby is more then good enough.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Rough position on the face of the earth

By my way of thinking, I can get within about 85 miles of Evans home longitudinally, and about 138 miles by latitude. He should feel fairly safe that no one can hunt him down within that nearly 12,000 square mile rectangle. It is nice to know what continent our participants live on....
          Salem, Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Danl
            By my way of thinking, I can get within about 85 miles of Evans home longitudinally, and about 138 miles by latitude. He should feel fairly safe that no one can hunt him down within that nearly 12,000 square mile rectangle. It is nice to know what continent our participants live on....
            After reading Evans posts for the last couple of years, I think I could almost drive to his house.

There is no reason to be so secret about your location. Just a general area is OK too.

Brian
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Evan I think it is rediculous of you to make this post. You come on here and tell other people to post their location yet look at how you have your location.

Sure if someone is interested they of course could look it up but why should they have to go to the trouble.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

My location is easily determined by anyone. One should not give away too much information online that can be easily correlated with other sources. State, province, or even just country is plenty. When my location matters in a post I mention the name of at least the province so people don't have to look it up.

Giving my approximate coordinates is much more accurate than saying I live near Williams Lake. "Near" Williams lake includes about 100,000 sq kilometres. The coordinates I give are about 5 minutes from my house.

If others want to post lat and long that is plenty good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  The coordinates I give are about 5 minutes from my house.
                  Is that 5 minutes on foot, horse and buggy or Maserati? (Sorry, just couldn't resist. )

Pops

Comment

I agree with Black Forest. Why not lead by example or just stay quiet. No way I would bother putting a long and lat into google to see where someone is. Even Western Canada or BC Canada would be better then what you are showing.

Comment

Good grief,,,,,,,,,,,,is it really that dangerous to post an area were you are from?

Like ??? are you wanted by the law or ex wife or something?

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch
                        Good grief,,,,,,,,,,,,is it really that dangerous to post an area were you are from?

Like ??? are you wanted by the law or ex wife or something?
                        I don't know Sasquatch, are you?

Seriously though having at least some sort of location is essential for a more accurate answer to a lot of the questions that a presented here on a daily basis.
                        Personally I belong to several sites that won't even allow a log-on to the site without a location posted because it is so essential.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

agree with Black Forest. Why not lead by example or just stay quiet.
                          It's a lot better than no location but I will alter it to make it easier to determine. I considered it before posting but then decided against it to see what the reaction might be.

Comment

Identity theft is the real issue today.

Comment

Well I'm in Albuquerque NM and if you can spell it you should be able to find it. (it took me a bit of time after moving here to be able to spell it quickly) And if anyone wants to find me all it takes is a phone
                              book. :-)
                              ...lew...

Comment

Working...
                              X