pick up storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pick up storage

I am a plumber by trade and I was wondering if anyone has a clever way of storing stuff in their pick ups. i find I spend more time cleaning and looking for stuff than I actually work. I would like to make some toolboxes to keep my stuff more organized , maybe shelves or clever slide out racks.Anyone got any ideas?

My buddys truck had those pull out racks that I think would slide at least 6' out in a longbox and drawers underneath. Canopy covered it all of course.......
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

I have been thinking about building a slide out drawer or platform for the bed of my pickup. I have one of those hard covers on the bed of my PU. After a lot of searching I found this site: http://www.extendobed.com/features/assemblycloseup.asp IF you go to Extendo bed, then Frame assembly and then click on the .exe file it will download a Solid Works drawing the will pretty much give you enough information to build one.. The Solid Works drw. gives you the ability to rotate and zoom in on the parts.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
      Oregon Coast

Comment

I'm a carpenter, and work out of an explorer.

Rear seats were removed and I built storage boxes in place of them, pop-in backs for more seating room when needed. Front seats have storage drawers built under them.

I installed side storage boxes below floor level for storing the jack, come-alongs and other oddball stuff that I didn't need to keep super handy.

in the rear, I cut out the floor just inside the hatch and installed a stainless steel sink, used the floor cut-out to make a cover for it, (cover the hole with a couple of perforated floor drain covers) I keep stuff I need all the time, but only when actually working in there, nails extension cords etc.
        Spare tire, toolbox etc are kept where they can be reached at any time loaded or not.

My saws, compressor, and a storage box have 1x bases made for them, either permanent mount or slip-in with inline skate wheels mounted. There are some gate latches mounted to each so all I have to do is set them down, push them and they follow the grooves in the floor and lock into the latches.
        They're set up so they can be locked together so they all go on one side, or lined up behind the seat 3 wide, depending on the room I need.

It's a 2 door, so from hatch to front seats it's just over 6 ft, but I can easily get to and store more things than many people who have extended cargo vans. Best is that if I need to haul a larger amount of stuff I can back up to the garage and have the cargo area cleared in 10 minutes.

Comment

I don't carry as much in the bed of my F150 as do you, but I have the standard bed-wide tool box in the front of the bed, two motorcycle hard side bags behind and over the fender wells and a pair of 20mm ammo boxes in the rear corners.

My next project is a long gun carrier drawer under the front tool box.

Pops

Comment

I have a canopy/bed cap that has lift-up side doors in addition to the rear door. There is a shelf that's a bit over a foot wide by 6' long on each side of the truck bed, fastened to the stake pockets by 2 bolts and riv-nuts. We have several wooden boxes that fit the shelves and are easily accessable from the side of the truck.

Having the shelves stop short of the rear of the bed allows carrying taller items w/o having to lay them down.

Mind you, the shelves sit on 4 legs, and are bolted to the bed just to keep them from sliding around. The canopy is equal in height to the truck's cab.

Dunno how it'd work for a plumber, but it's great for travelling with our travel trailer. We seldom have to climb into the truck bed for anything.

Comment

Im currently searching for another "chain box" from a semi to use as more secure storage in my truck. Barring that, my only idea is inspired from the 12 ton roll-off toolbox I had in the military.

http://www.armyproperty.com/Equipment-Info/M7-FRS.htm

The FRS ("fresh") had Vidmar cabinets inside that provided both tool storage and countertop space. The Vidmars had the drawers lined out with cut foam inserts that held every single wrench and socket solidly, not only on the bottom edge of the tool, but the cutouts were full drawer depth so the tools were SOLIDly held. Granted, its completely over the top and would take time, but if its your day job it may well be worth it to come up with a similar arrangement.
              "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer
                Im currently searching for another "chain box" from a semi to use as more secure storage in my truck. Barring that, my only idea is inspired from the 12 ton roll-off toolbox I had in the military.

http://www.armyproperty.com/Equipment-Info/M7-FRS.htm
                Oh man... the military might waste a lot of money.. But damnnn.. They sure do get some shiny toys!! *drools all over*
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Could someone help me out with how the sliding rail profiles look. I cant make it out.
                  Is it a piece of galvanized u channel that is bolted to the floor and is it a piece of flat barthat has bearings mounted on both sides running in the anchored u channel with another u channel running on the other side of the flat bar?

Comment

Looks like these guys have a few options........

http://www.gunsafes.com/Truck-Vault-...Solutions.html

Comment

A complete moble shop to serve a trade requires compartmented storage otherwise whatever you need in under everything else. I suggest a box trailer like lead carpenters and small contractors use or a small box van if you have a lot if stuff. If your loot collection is smaller a utility bed like the phone and power company uses for their repair people.

http://www.800toolbox.com/service_body/service_bodies

A full utlity bed aint cheap but it has a headache rack, a dozen or two compartments for tools, parts, and fittings, and leaves most of your bed space open for hauling sinks and toilets. A handy guy with basic fab equipment could whip up his own version of this complete with weatherproof doors. I visualise some form of engine coolant heat and circulated air from a blower to dry off wet stuff so it doesn't sit and rust for days. A local plumber has a utility bed on his 3/4 ton Ford with a fold out rain shelter over both sides and the end.
                      Last edited by Forrest Addy; 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Some beautiful truck bodies there!!

Comment

Back when I had to work for a living, the van I drove was outfitted with bins like these from http://www.weatherguard.com/index.php

Comment

You guys in the states are sure spoilt for choice. What nice trucks you have. I would love to have a business doing outfitting of trucks like that. I doubt there would be a market for it. I would like to try and make a cargo slide for my 3/4 ton pick up but I see they seem to be using a special profile for the slides. I wonder how I could fab a slide that would work well with off the shelf metal. I was thinking maybe some u channel bolted to the bed and a thick flat section with bearings on both sides that travels in the bed channel and then on the outside of the flat piece another section of u channel running on bearings of the flat to let it extend further. This is where I feel stupid and wish I could draw to explain my thoughts. Any ideas?

Comment

That should work, you just want a track for it to travel in, you might even be able to use unistrut for the sides with an axle and bearing? For the weight they are going to have to bear you might want some substancial guage sheet metal for the sides and a frame to tie it all together...... Unistrut is soft though and might wear after awhile......

Hey you got the market covered on Land/ Range Rovers and Landcruisers......LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X