pdf generator and reader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pdf generator and reader?

Not machining related, but- I need and inexpensive pdf generator and reader.
    I can't afford the Adobe software. Anybody use a software that they find good?
    Thanks for the help.

Sid

I use Nuance pdf converter (not very expensive) and my sister uses Cute PDF which I gather is free to download.

edit: She does a lot more conversions than I do because of her job.
    I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
    Scott

Comment

I've used deskpdf for several years. It works as a printer so you can convert just about anything to pdf format...

http://www.docudesk.com/
      Keith

Comment

Adobe READER is free.

As for making PDF, I have been using PDF995 for quite a while, it seems to work with no troubles, and it is free if you don't mind waiting a few extra seconds while an add clears.

There are others that folks swear are better, but I have not needed anything better.

PDF995 can also connect PDF pages together, or snip out individual pages.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

CutePDF it's free.

Comment

I also use PDF995, its nice set up as a printer for saving different formats such as AutoCad etc directly in PDF.
            Max.

Comment

I use PDF Creator to print PDFs to PDF files. It works with everything all the time.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I use the free Adobe reader for PDFs most of the time. If I want to fill out a form I have in PDF, I use one of the photo editors that displays the file properly. If I want one of my articles, texts, student notes, tests or photographs to print as PDF I use a printer program attached to my printer call in the computer.

To create PDF, there are several free programs which act as printers in your computer. You create the basic file in your word processor, CAD, drawing, photo or whatever, choose print, and then click on the program you have installed as the printer to be used. Because it is attatched to your printer, your program that created the file doesn't know that it is going to be a PDF and won't complain about that conversion.

cnet.com downloads shows 105 free printer programs that create PDF files when attached to your printer program.

Pops

Comment

I use Bullzip PDF Printer, a free download, to create PDFs. I've never had a problem with it. I use the Foxit PDF Reader, also free.

I just bought Foxit PhantomPDF to do some PDF file editing. You can get a trial version good for 5 days, or for 35 days if you register -- I assume so they can send you e-mail advertising their products, but you can opt out.
                  ----------
                  Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                  Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                  Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                  There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                  Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                  Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Foxit Phantom PDF full version here.
                    I do a lot of PDF editing on handbooks etc and this works flawlessly and allows cutting pasting and even adding new content.

Will not allow any Adobe virus's on my machine.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I too use Foxit and foxit Creator now called Foxit PhantomPDF Express now a low cost one. I would buy it if I didn't have the free version.

Here are two others that may be of interest
                      http://www.pdfforge.org/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfmerge/?abmode=1

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/shopping/
                      Glen
                      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

openoffice

Comment

I used and like Cutepdf, but haven't bothered for a few years -almost every product I use has pdf as a "save-as" option. IIRC, you can download this from Microsoft for the Office products (not sure how far back this goes).

Acrobat Reader is free, so that part is covered!

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53

Acrobat Reader is free, so that part is covered!
                            So is Foxit reader and it's a 1/10 of the size, starts up immediately and doesn't need to open 10,000 dll's like Adobe

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I notice this stuff less and less since I got a real computer

Comment

Working...
                              X