Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tip: tired of hot chips burning your arm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip: tired of hot chips burning your arm?

Are you tired of hot chips flying off of the lathe and burning your forearms?
    I went to the thrift/Goodwill store and purchased a pair of kids denim jeans for $1.50.
    Cut the legs off, and VIOLA! Two forearm protectors.
    The sales lady looked at me kinda strange as I was 'trying on' the jeans with my arms.
    Hope this is helpful.

I have more trouble with chips hitting me in the throat and going down inside my T shirt.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

I personally love the ones that fly up into my ever-shrinking amount of hair and melt their way down to the scalp to remind me that I should have put on my hat today.

Not a bad idea though. I have come off the lathe looking like I tried to steal honey on a few occasions.

Comment

one of these, with a 6"x6" piece of polycarb attached to the end, and you can deflect the chips away from yourself.

Comment

I use one of those circular desk lamps with a large magnifying glass surrounded by a florescent tube to ward of the worst of the chips.

Burns on hands from hot chips are sort of a badge of honor for a machinist .

Up the nostril or between the eyeball and the eyelid (to this day I haven't a clue how it managed to get there) are much worse

Comment

Originally posted by MasterMaker
            I use one of those circular desk lamps with a large magnifying glass surrounded by a florescent tube to ward of the worst of the chips.

Burns on hands from hot chips are sort of a badge of honor for a machinist .

Up the nostril or between the eyeball and the eyelid (to this day I haven't a clue how it managed to get there) are much worse
            I managed to get one under my tongue on my first week running a mill, my allergies were bothering me bad that week and I guess I was mouth breathing lol. I learned not to do that again

Comment

I would be more worried about getting the jeans caught in the lathe than a burn from hot chips!!! A chip guard would be much safer.

Jim Connell, DeLand FL.
              Daytona Beach is near us.

You haven’t begun learn until to learn until you learn how little you know.

Comment

You mean these

Safety sleeves are available in all fabrics with your choice of length and closure. Standard sleeve closure is snap at wrist and open top. Please specify any other option desired.

Available sleeve fabrics:
                •Aluminized Kevlar
                •Aluminized Rayon Heavy
                •Chrome Leather
                •Blue Denim, non-FR
                •Fire Resistant Duck
                •Green FR-7A Cotton
                •Green FR-7A Twill
                •Hycar
                •Kevlar Twill
                •22 oz Aramid Blend
                •9.5 oz Nomex IIIA
                •FR Navy Sateen

http://mchollandservices.com/Sleeves...Arm-Guards.php

But I got to admit $1.50 is pretty hard to beat

Comment

I was always taught no loose clothing around the lathe, or any spinning machinery as far as that goes. I would not like the idea of a loose piece of cloth over my arm around a moving chuck. I have learned to turn the dials on my lathe with my left hand and stand a bit to the right. That keeps most of the chips and oil off of me. I have a small Plexiglas shield I can swing into place on the mil to catch the hot chips.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by jcon
                    I would be more worried about getting the jeans caught in the lathe than a burn from hot chips!!! A chip guard would be much safer.
                    +1

There are some really gruesome pics on the net of what can happen to somebody when their sleeve gets caught by a powerful lathe. 100lbs of ground beef is a fair approximation.

If you are really lucky, it will just pull the sleeve-lets off. But a little too much friction, or chinese finger trap action, and your hand goes with it and once your hand is wrapped around, the rest of you will follow.

Then there is long hair, wrist watches, jewelry, gloves, etc.

Also, the more chips on you the more there are to get into unpleasant places later. Better to deflect them before they get near you as much as possible.

Comment

Now see what you've done......you've gone & awakened the safety police.

Nice idea though. A couple of rubber bands at the wrist & you wouldn't even have to wash up for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
                        The sales lady looked at me kinda strange as I was 'trying on' the jeans with my arms.
                        Hope this is helpful.
                        Don't worry,the more years you spend in this trade the more people will give you that confused dog look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zaRL...eature=related
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I work in the cold all the time so I am wearing long sleeves around machines all the time. Just have to be constantly aware of them and stay away from the moving stuff.
                          Andy

Comment

I use old face shield lenses. when they get scuffed enuf to replace i use them at the mill and the lathe. just hold em in my left hand.
                            Works for me and I feel like i'm recycling too! lol
                            I spent most of my money on women and booze, the rest I just wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                              I work in the cold all the time so I am wearing long sleeves around machines all the time. Just have to be constantly aware of them and stay away from the moving stuff.
                              Me too.

No loose sleeves and no loose threads though. Most time if I am running a lathe, I will roll up my sleeves until I am done. Also, a loose thread will pull your sleeve into a rotating spindle in an instant.

If this makes you uneasy, wear short sleeves.

Brian
                              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Working...
                              X