• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeBlond Regal progress...

I received the LeBlond lathe I mentioned a while ago in this thread:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=50616

Here it was in the old place before I got it:

I tore into this old girl, looks like she was never abused but never really maintained a whole lot either. At the end of each work day, I tend to clean my machines- clean all chips/swarf, and wipe them down. Some say that's way too anal, but it sure is nice walking into a clean shop in the morning ready for another day.

I don't think chips were ever cleaned from this machine.... Decades of caked-on-crap in/on just about every surface/corner. A LOT of cleaning this week before doing anything else. I called LeBlond service and this machine is dated to 1968.

Under all the crap seems to be a very nice machine, but needs a good dose of TLC.

...pics in the next post
    Last edited by T.Hoffman; 12-19-2011, 09:43 PM.

I found that the all four of the selector levers on the headstock either had broken, craked, missing parts or needed adjustment. One of the 40yr old plastic 'fingers' that provide the speed shift lever position detents was broken, and the other was cracked and ready to break off. I made up some new ones, not going for any visual prettiness of the part but rather pure functionality since it is hidden behind the selector panel. Here's the broken and cracked one along with the new one:

Here they are in place and functional:

I tore apart the cross-slide and apron too. There is some wear on the cross-slide, but nothing too bad. The headstock gears and bearings seem fine, gearbox is in great shape, lead screw doesn't look too worn at all.

There is a splined sleeve in the apron that rides along the splined power on/off shaft. For some reason that splined sleeve is just about gone and wore away. That seems weird in the fact that nothing else on the machine seems too worn. In that first picture you can see the power selector lever on the right side of the apron hanging lower than the one right off the gearbox. I don't have a broaching set, so I think for now I'll be ordering the splined sleeve from LeBlond to get her up and running soon.

I'm done with the major cleaning and now on the road of putting things back together. This old girl has a nice heavy feel to all the controls- I like it.
    I have new headstock/gearbox and apron oil coming this week for a full fluid change. Belts look good. The drive has a nice adjustable brake on it too.
    Electricians are running the new power this week, and if all goes well I should be making cuts by the end of the year.
    Last edited by T.Hoffman; 12-19-2011, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I like it too, thats gona be a nice piece when ya get finished...whats the bore size and bed length.........

Comment

Picking up my new(old) Leblond Regal 17x48 in the morning. Can't wait to get it in place. It's still under power so I get a lesson before we load it. Looks like your doing a fine job on yours! I'm sure you've seen it but I found a military manual for the Leblond if you need the link let me know. I too like the heavy duty feel of the Leblond. Real American iron in you hands. If you don't mind can I get the number for Leblond? Thanks! Eric

Comment

Originally posted by metalmole
          ...whats the bore size and bed length.........
          I'll measure the bore for sure tomorrow, I'm guessing around 1-5/8"?
          I think this was a 15x32-ish lathe, something in that ballpark.

Originally posted by flylo
          I'm sure you've seen it but I found a military manual for the Leblond if you need the link let me know. - If you don't mind can I get the number for Leblond?
          I did download the military manual, not quite meant for my machine, but close enough on some parts. The one I have is for the Servoshift drive.

Still debating ordering the real manual from LeBlond. $84 I think.
          Maybe that and a new set of felt wipers for everything. $65.

LeBlond parts/service: 888-532-5663
          Last edited by T.Hoffman; 12-19-2011, 10:26 PM.

Comment

That is one of my very favorite lathes, both solid but smooth. I actually learned quite a bit about lathe operations on one of those from a very kind old machinist who took me under his wing.
            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I just read your original post & we have alot in common. I have an asian 13x40 gap bed gear head new in the crate & it gets better last week I bought cases of grinding wheels,disc,blades etc for a song from a guys wife that closed his fab shop & went to North Dakota as a welder where their getting all the oil, Willmington I believe. As I was leaving she said by the way he said if you can move that & want it you can have it. I looked & said the Bridgeport? She said yes thats it. It has power feed,dro,etc. Very nice machine with a motor or switch problem(switch I think). A month ago I bought a Bridgeport model M 1940 sng phase from the factory 110V for $50. before that I bought a Hightower 3HP Bridgeport clone, A Jet bandsaw with coolant for$50, a 10HP 80gal compressor for $100, also an Enco for $75 & I have a new Enco in the crate I bought with the lathe. She also had a Greenlee 4" pipe bender, another bender & dies on a stand & a Target metal cut off saw & 9 HD welding stands. I'm running out of room but not complaining(I think my wife is about to because the newest mill is still in the drive on the trailer). The 2nd load I paid about what 1 Greenlee shoe cost used on Ebay. I am very blessed & very thankful. I have a 6x18 Atlas & will keep it & the 13x40 & the Leblond, the 1940 M head & the new Bridgeport with the power feed. I'll sell the Hightower(nice machine,the new & used Enco & 3 bandsaws, also another 10HP Comp,a 5 HP 3 Phase, a 5 HP sng phase comp & a 20HP screw comressor & a partride in a pair tree. I've had a Great Christmas already & hope everyone here does also. You've heard the song about "send money, guns & lawyers" in this case it's "bring money, trailers & friends". I told my kids that when I die they'll have that yardsale I've looked for all my life.
              Last edited by flylo; 12-19-2011, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I carefully removed all the factory sealant around the gearbox and apron top that mates with the underside of the cross slide. I knew I would need some sort of new sealant for around the gearbox perimeter (you can see the yellow interior of the rear of the gearbox in the stripped down pic). The fluid sight glass is up a good distance on the front face of the gearbox, so they run a healthy level of fluid in there, probably 2.5" high or so...

LeBlond tech service recommended Permatex gasket maker for putting the gearbox back in place. I stopped by AutoZone tonight after work and picked some up, so tomorrow I'll be putting back the gearbox, cross slide, apron.

I'll have to wait a few days for the new headstock DTE 26 fluid to arrive, and they recommend Vactra #2 for the apron reservoir, so I'll start in on cleaning up the tailstock and 5 (yes 5!) chucks that came along with the old girl.

There's a neat oiler hand pump on the apron, sort of like a one-shot oiler on the BP. When I had it all apart I made sure all the oiler lines were clear and I could feel pressure from the hand pump when putting a finger over the ports. Hope it all works ok when put back together.
                Last edited by T.Hoffman; 12-19-2011, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
                  I too like the heavy duty feel of the Leblond. Real American iron in you hands. If you don't mind can I get the number for Leblond? Thanks! Eric
                  Actually they are not a heavy duty lathe especially with plastic parts in the headstock...

They are just a bog standard medium duty lathe....
                  Precision takes time.

Comment

I told my kids that when I die they'll have that yardsale I've looked for all my life.

I made a comment recently to my nine year old daughter along those same lines. Her reply brought a tear to my eye. She told me, "Oh no daddy I would never sell all your tools. How could I run the farm without all these GREAT tools and everytime I use them I will think of you!"

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Nice score!
                      Andy

Comment

T.H, I was looking on Ebay & say these manuals you might want. 200678170329 or 260298519376

Black Forrest, I knew I should have had girls!

RC, I don't think mine has plastic parts in the head but I may be wrong?
                        Last edited by flylo; 12-20-2011, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Here's the next tidbit that needs attention.

I received my new splined sleeve from LeBlond. When I removed the original power handle and sleeve, it required tapping out a tapered pin that ran through the handle and along the outer edge of the sleeve.

Here's the old sleeve and you can see the tapered "half-hole":

Problem is the new sleeve does not have this half-hole there for the tapered pin. I called LeBlond about this and the reason is that they put the sleeve in the handle and then drill and taper-ream through both parts at once.

Now I guess I have to recreate the tapered half-hole in the new sleeve so that the handle holes and tapered pin will all be aligned correctly.

Looking for additional input on the best way to recreate the tapered half-hole in the new sleeve. I'm thinking I'll make a steel cinch collar that will go on the new sleeve, then drill/ream a tapered hole through the collar and sleeve. Remove the cinch collar and should be left with the proper half-hole in the new sleeve. I'll leave it a little undersized so I can put the new sleeve together with the handle and then finish ream in place for the tapered pin.

I orderd the tapered reamer this morning.

Problem is that I'm not sure if the center of the tapered hole is tangential to the outer circumference of the sleeve....... If they (at the factory assembly) were drilling/reaming/pinning parts in place, they possibly did it while it was on the machine and assembled. That probably means a hand drill. I doubt they had that much exactness if that was the case.
                          Last edited by T.Hoffman; 12-27-2011, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I'm guessing you could use and end mill to cut a "slot" similar to what you have there on the new piece. Of course, you would want to make it slightly smaller. Then, you could put the two pieces together (the new and the old) and then use the tapered reamer you bought to finish the hole. Tapered pins, by nature, can fill a slightly larger hole if the reamer ends up cutting a little larger. (That is unless, the hole is already too big.)
                            VitŮŽria, Brazil

Comment

Working...
                            X