Bobcad any happy users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcad any happy users?

Bobcat has been trying to self me there software, their reputation as a hardcore sell pitch is an understatement that said is anyone happy with it? . I have zero experience with any software so I have nothing to compare to if its good or bad, I just want to dive in and start to learn how to design things on the computer. And one day get into cnc machining thanks for any input Bill.

Well, since you claim zero experience with any software package and have no immediate need for cnc machining, why not download SketchUp and give that a try?

Steve

Comment

Bobcad will seem great after using sketchup.

Bobcad is not terrible software. It just aint that great either. But for $300 to $400, which you can get it for if you wait out their sales guys, its not that bad.

Comment

Why would anyone use a Bobcat for machining?
        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Bobcat? Is sketchup free? Or is it a demo?

Comment

I took me 6 months to get the sales person to quit calling. I found it to be a substandard product.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest
              Why would anyone use a Bobcat for machining?
              That's for if you don't have a shaper and need to rough off a lot of material.

Comment

Strange timing on this thread... I was "playing" with it last night. I have the full lathe and milling package (V23)- waiting for me to spend the commitment of time required to learn how to use it. The CAD portion is full featured and once you learn it can do pretty much anything; the CAM looks decent, but that's where I see the major time sink.

This package like all similiar requires a major investiment in time and money... not a few hundred $ either - price out the various extra modules you will want. And... make sure you have a spiffy computer. I'm a competent CAD user, but.... until I have a big block of time and a complex project to justify it, I can't get into it.

Google - "Bobcad good bad" - that will return a lot of hits. To summarize what I read for those hits - If you spend the time to learn it, it's a decent package. It isn't Mastercam or Solid Works, but it's not priced like those either.

Bottom line : "zero experience with any software"... yikes... this is not the way to go. Unless you really intend to have it output G-code for 2.5 or 3D CNC machining.... Look to something way way simpler.
                Last edited by lakeside53; 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stepside
                  I took me 6 months to get the sales person to quit calling. I found it to be a substandard product.
                  Im impressed you got them to stop after 6 months. We havent used their software in 12+ years and they still call occasionally, I just hang up anymore, not even worth trying to talk to them.

Comment

Originally posted by BillC
                    Bobcat? Is sketchup free? Or is it a demo?
                    The basic version of SketchUp is free.

http://sketchup.google.com/

Steve

Comment

Well Thanks to all That up replied I was close to giving in to the salesman I am glad now that I checked with you guys thanks again and everyone have a merry christmas and a happy new year Bill.

Comment

Bob's CAD is pretty bad, IMHO, it works but has its own way of thinking that I do not find intuitive at all. Their problem is that they sell you the software really cheap then tell you to pay extra for the training (videos, book, classes) so lots of people don't buy it and then get mad when they can't figure out how to use it.

Now, the CAM part, is the best thing you can get for the price, IMHO. Still a bit weird to use in places, has some strange quirks, but for a few hundred bucks it does much more than anything else I know.

If you are looking primarily at CAM, then you might also look at Dolphin and Vectric's products. Vectric's are fairly cheap and Dolphin will give hobbyist pricing. If you are looking at CAD, then you might get started with Draftsight which is a free 2D CAD package from the guys who make Solidworks, and there is also Alibre if you want to try full-on parametric 3D, and can be had starting around $200. I think Autodesk has a freeware-ish 3D modeler too, but the export options are limited if you're looking to generate G-code from them.

Sketchup... I gave it a try because it has a native Mac version, but I quickly gave up because I found it very strange to use, particularly with regards to specifying things dimensionally. It *can* be used to do precise modeling as some of Evan's stuff shows very well, but I just couldn't ever get happy with it. I really wanted to like it but never could.

Comment

These are the current "list" prices - and yes, they undercut these a lot, but they are a lot more than I remembered

http://www.bobcad.com/pricing

CAD only:$695
                          Milling: "starting" at $2495
                          Lathe: $1995
                          Art: $995
                          Nesting: $995
                          Videos : $495

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy
                            That's for if you don't have a shaper and need to rough off a lot of material.

Do you use a "roughing" bucket or a "finish" bucket?
                            How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I'm satisfied with Bobcad. I'm not super impressed but i feel it gets the job done and is affordable. I am a little spoiled though and get to use solidworks at my job. I know they have an integration package for solidworks but i haven't bothered with it. I definitely don't recommend it for just basic CAD work especially if you're sticking with 2D. You're better off using sketchup. I have V24 Mill/turn and art. For the basic work that I do, I like the software. The requirements are pretty low unless you are running the tool path simulators a lot. If you have specific questions about it let me know. It did take a while to get the hang of things but I'm quite comfortable with it. If i was made of money though, i would go with solid works or proE.

Comment

Working...
                              X