New source for machine tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New source for machine tools?

Now we don't have to buy Chinese machines, we have a choice!
    I expect they will be as high quality as the Mekong catfish they are exporting.

HCM CITY — The ninth Viet Nam International Precision Engineering,
    Machine Tools and Metalworking Exhibition (MTA) will return to Ha Noi
    in March.

Co-organised by the Singapore Exhibition Services Pte Ltd (SES) and
    local organiser VCCI Exhibition Service Co Ltd, MTA Ha Noi 2012 will
    include Metrology Ha Noi 2012, ToolTec Ha Noi 2012, SubCon Ha Noi
    2012, Automation Ha Noi 2012, and WeldTech Ha Noi 2012.

MTA Ha Noi 2012 will showcase international technologies, including
    metal-cutting machine tools, metal-forming machine tools, test and
    measurement equipment and systems, cutting tools, tooling systems, and
    industrial tools and components.

The event is the leading platform for industry professionals to
    network with both international and reputable local exhibitors
    offering the latest solutions for Ha Noi's blooming manufacturing
    sector.

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/E...j-cYlzOJCP8ttQ

Viet Cong

Well it had to happen----
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Not for me, Thanks anyway.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

I've only seen one imported item bearing a "Made in Vietnam" label.
        Last Christmas I received a hooded, zip front sweatshirt, made in Vietnam. And I'll have to say it is of absolutely the highest quality I've seen in such a garment! ...both material and workmanship.

I spent 362 miserable days there, but I bear those people no grudge. I supported our policy fully back then, but in retrospect I think it was a momental mistake. Remember the domino theory cited as our rational for being there? Well where are the fallen dominoes?

But everybody has their own opinions.

Comment

As Chinese labor rates go up (and shortages of skilled workers appear) lots of manufacturing jobs are moving to Vietnam. I sure wouldn't be the first kid on the block to buy a Vietnamese lathe. But look at it this way -- we've already pissed away most of our machine tool industry; and competition for the Chinese isn't bad.

Comment

Kind of a coincidence, Re Vietnam:

The other day i was hunting through some small used boxes i,d picked up, and noticed one had contained boxes of screws.
            Upon reading the label i reconized the company brand "Reliable Fasteners".

Ok, checking the size on the label, there at the bottom was printed

"Made in Vietnam".

First time for me that i found hardware made in Vietnam.

Comment

They are wanting to open markets and normalise relations with the US because China is becoming agressive towards them as is the case with all the other nations in the region.

http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2011/03...-china-at-bay/
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Most of the snug fitting mechanics style gloves come from Viet Nam and I've also seen some very nice looking SS roll around tool chests at Sams from VN.

BTW, helped with the evac of Saigon.

Comment

In 30 years or so we'll be waxing poetic about the really great Chicom iron. Much better than the VietCongCom crap that followed!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis
                    In 30 years or so we'll be waxing poetic about the really great Chicom iron. Much better than the VietCongCom crap that followed!
                    Gotta disagree with that,the stuff I have seen so far has been very good and actually better than Chinese by a good margin.Caught me by surprise because I had thought Vietnam was behind China industrially.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                      Gotta disagree with that,the stuff I have seen so far has been very good and actually better than Chinese by a good margin.Caught me by surprise because I had thought Vietnam was behind China industrially.
                      Don't underestimate a country's products because they're behind in the industrial fields.

A carpenter working alone in his shop is certainly 'behind' Ikea, as far as profit and output goes. Right now, being behind in the ironwork doesn't mean a huge cut in the quality of casting, machining, or metalworking.

I'd have to compare machines, but IMO anything not coming from China is money going to someplace that may be more likely to step up on quality or work as positive pressure on them (and negative on China) to be more friendly to the countries importing their products.

Comment

Bought a bedrooms set earlier in the year and found a made in Vietnam label on it. Good quality. I was expecting to find laminated wood on particle board and found it is mostly solid wood, nice finish.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Lots of things made there

I am also one who has visited Vietnam years ago. Have found that quite a few items are now made there. And all of good quality. The biggest surprise was a couple of years ago when I got home after buying a Pentax Optio M30 Camera.

Didn't notice were it was made when I bought it, but found the Made in Vietnam label. It's a great little camera and I bought it because it appered better made than others and the Pentax name. Compact, no plastic and has been working great for about the last 3 years or so.

Comment

One of my friends bought tires, I believe from Coker, for his Model T, that were made in Vietnam.

Last month I was running some gas pipe in Vermont, the 3" x 2" weld reducers and the 3" weld caps used, were made in Vietnam, purchased from F W Webb.
                            jack

Comment

My winter coat came with a "made in Vietnam" label - I couldn't pass up a chuckle when I noticed that. Quality looks good, though.

And I should mention a pair of Scherr-Tumico micrometers I picked up on the black market in Saigon 44+ years ago. They were "reallocated" US supplies however.

Comment

Working...
                              X