Rotary Table Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary Table Problems

I have a Chinese made rotary table with about two degrees of "slop" in the table movement. (The table can be moved my hand without any input from the turning handle.) The instructiuons are written in "Chinglish" but I think I have dechipered them and found the adjustment screw.

I have adjusted the srew from as far forward it can go, to removing it completely. This screw has no effect upon the 2 degrees of slop in the table and this movement is the same no matter were the screw is positioned in its travel.

I've tried to dissassemblle it but have gotten to the point where a nut inside a recess has to be removed. This nut is below the outside edge and is perfectly round on the outside edge except for two "keyway like" slot cut a 0 and 90 derees. I've never seen such a method of gripping the outside of a nut.

Does anyone have or know where to get the tool needed to remove the nut? I have received no responses to my inquires to the company from which I bought the table.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Table adjustment

Most rotary tables have two adjustments. One, a thrust clearance adjustment on the worm shaft and another to adjust the engagement of the worm into the worm wheel. You will have to look for them on your particular table. You may need a pin spanner wrench to turn the nut. It may be the lock nut to allow moving the end bearing of the worm shaft.
    Hugh
    Last edited by bytewise; 12-22-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Two degrees doesn't seem like lot, to me. Of course, all my stuff is old. The table has a lock, right? Hold the table against the screw with your hand, turn the crank the desired amount then lock it in place. That's how I use my old dividing head and use a similar method to take up the slop in the screws on my lathe, mill, etc.

Tom
      Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Originally posted by flathead4
        Two degrees doesn't seem like lot, to me. Of course, all my stuff is old. The table has a lock, right? Hold the table against the screw with your hand, turn the crank the desired amount then lock it in place. That's how I use my old dividing head and use a similar method to take up the slop in the screws on my lathe, mill, etc.

Tom
        Tom,

I'm using my rotary table to cut round disks which I use to hang the wind chime I build. The excess play in the table results is very rough and poor finishes on the outside of the disks. Locking the table won't work in my case.
        Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

There is usally an eccentric collar around the shaft of the handwheel, you need to rotate that to get it to engage 'deeper' with the worm.

The tricky part is there usally IS a small screw that sets the 'limit' of that eccentric collar movement, because you flip that collar around to disengage the worm from the main gear, So a screw is used to be able to quickly get the clearance the same every time (Too tight, And it will bind when you reach the unworn part of the main gear)

That said, you don't really need to, Backlash is a fact of life, Deal with it, Never climb mill (Ie, always make sure the table is rotating such that the cutter is pushing it against the gear and not against your backlash), 2 degrees isent much, And even if you get it just right, it will never have low enough backlash to not require taking backlash into account or to be able to climb mill (Without taking feather cuts with the brake dragging that is)
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I'm using my rotary table to cut round disks which I use to hang the wind chime I build.
            Without seeing your setup or your tooling or knowing the type of material you are cutting it's tough to make a suggestion, but the issue might involve more than the rotary table. Can you post a pictuer of your setup?

Tom
            Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Working...
            X