Bulb ban cancelled:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulb ban cancelled:

Ontario was institutiing a light ban this comming January on 100 and 75 watt incandesant bulbs, also the T12 Flouresants.

Noticed today the Ban has now been cancelled till 2014 !

(After most people went out and got stocked up on bulbs and tubes).

I still think somebody has to come up with the TIR module for storing sunlight- the total internal reflection module. As long as the photons don't convert into anything else, you could keep them coming in as long as you have light, then let them out a little at a time when you need light. Wouldn't have to be very big either as long as photons don't interfere with each other. It could keep on absorbing sunlight for as long as you kept it exposed. Just a couple of technical problems to overcome, then you have it. Simple. You could have a pocket model too. No more blue tinge, no more AAAs, Cree go home, Deal Extreme go home
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
      I still think somebody has to come up with the TIR module for storing sunlight- the total internal reflection module. As long as the photons don't convert into anything else, you could keep them coming in as long as you have light, then let them out a little at a time when you need light. Wouldn't have to be very big either as long as photons don't interfere with each other. It could keep on absorbing sunlight for as long as you kept it exposed. Just a couple of technical problems to overcome, then you have it. Simple. You could have a pocket model too. No more blue tinge, no more AAAs, Cree go home, Deal Extreme go home
      Reminds me of science fiction from the 50's . "Slow Glass" or something
      like that the images came out the other side after years.
      ...lew...

Comment

Yea, but photons are so small, how do you keep them from getting out and running amok?
        I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
        Scott

Comment

Nano tech-
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I wish they would have postponed it here.

Dave

Comment

And if you get too many photons on one place they will go Union. Next time you go to use it they will go on strike.

Comment

Unfortuanately the EU twats are still banning all incandescent bulbs over here.
                Tony

Comment

I get so wound up about these bans. The amount of energy saved in actual use is so minimal, and I believe even that is lost in the manufacturing shift to those dim, funky color Compact Florescent Lamps.

We have made tungsten lamps in the US and other developed countries for a hundred years. We know how to do it, and we do it efficiently. CFL's, on the other hand, are more expensive to make, so we ship production to China where they don't have to worry about handling the mercury and other dangerous components. I am of the opinion (no substantiated facts) that those bulbs use far more energy to make than they save over the lifetime.

For the tiny bit of energy savings those CFL's offer, I believe we could find huge chunks of wasted energy by just looking around at all the things lit at night that don't need it.

I want my "decorative" bare 100 watt incandescent lamp over my dining room table. It's on perhaps 1 or 2 hours a day, and I can afford to pay for it.

Comment

Although the ban won't go into effect here in the states, I bought several cases at an auction earlier this year.. I'm good for a long time.

Comment

I'd say pixman has it right and i have to agree with his statements!!

Comment

Did they really stop the ban or just stop the funding for enforcing the ban?

I thought I read that they just eliminated the funding for a while so so one could enforce it. The same article said that most major producers are already ramped up to stop production and so there may not be many choices available.

Anyone else heard about this?
                        VitŮŽria, Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by PixMan
                          I get so wound up about these bans. The amount of energy saved in actual use is so minimal, and I believe even that is lost in the manufacturing shift to those dim, funky color Compact Florescent Lamps.

We have made tungsten lamps in the US and other developed countries for a hundred years. We know how to do it, and we do it efficiently. CFL's, on the other hand, are more expensive to make, so we ship production to China where they don't have to worry about handling the mercury and other dangerous components. I am of the opinion (no substantiated facts) that those bulbs use far more energy to make than they save over the lifetime.

For the tiny bit of energy savings those CFL's offer, I believe we could find huge chunks of wasted energy by just looking around at all the things lit at night that don't need it.

I want my "decorative" bare 100 watt incandescent lamp over my dining room table. It's on perhaps 1 or 2 hours a day, and I can afford to pay for it.
                          CFL's use about 25 percent as much power as a comparable incandescent bulb. I would not consider a 75 percent savings in any energy bill a "tiny bit of energy savings".

I have changed almost all of the bulbs in my house/shops over to CFL's and have seen a fairly dramatic energy savings.

I suppose I could afford to use $20 bills to start fires too, but I don't.

Brian
                          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

It's not a 75% saving on your energy bill. Household lighting makes up a small portion of your energy use. The difference between incandescence and CFL bulbs is a few percent of your energy bill and its not that saving energy isn't good but being forced into anything is bad.
                            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

One of the reasons that incandescence bulbs are being phased out is a potential shortage of tungsten to make them.
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X