Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convenient and portable file storage solution???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atomicjoe23
    replied
    Here is a nice solution I found online today. . .easy to see everything in it's storage spot. . .

A friend in the shop brought in some old back-issues of Home Shop Machinist yesterday and there was a good picture/article on file storage. . .I have to scan it into the computer and then I will post that up as well.

Leave a comment:

• atomicjoe23
    replied
    I like that set-up for in the shop a LOT!!!

One of my workbenches is oriented almost exactly the same and I could very easily set that up for my garage.

Thanks for linking to it!

Leave a comment:

• atomicjoe23
    replied
    Originally posted by Mcgyver
    Not up for debate with me; they're edge tools and edges shouldn't be bashed about against each other.
    I agree. . .with files it's much more difficult to see the damage occuring like it is on say an end mill. . .

. . .I haven't taken the time to look at my files under my magnifying glass, but I don'doubt that it's not good for them which is why I'm looking for a better storage method.

Thanks for the link. . .checking it out now.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by atomicjoe23
    . .now how much damage is actually being done to the files or how much it is affecting the quality of work they turn out or shortens their lifetime is up for debate, but I would like a better way to store them. The cost of quality files alone is reason enough to store them in the most protective manner feasible.

I thought about a leather tool roll, but I haven't found one yet that has a significant number of slots that would allow me to store a decent number of files. . .so far the most I have found is 18.
    !
    Not up for debate with me; they're edge tools and edges shouldn't be bashed about against each other.

What about canvas rolls, like those that are made for chisels? inexpensive enough that you could buy as many as you need regardless of one not having 18+ to store them

See the end of this page, how i store mine

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...t=50624&page=2

Leave a comment:

• atomicjoe23
    replied
    taking handles on and off isn't much of an issue for me with my delrin handles. . .they have set screws with plastic knurled head covers that keep the files securely in the handle. . .

. . .the other nice thing about that is that the large file handle is also designed to accomodate a sawzall blade so that I can have a small hand saw as well.

Leave a comment:

• RussZHC
    replied
    I thought about a leather tool roll, but I haven't found one yet that has a significant number of slots that would allow me to store a decent number of files. . .so far the most I have found is 18.
    ...related to a later point about keeping handles on files...I keep the handles on the bulk of mine and also sewed a roll when I had more than a couple...if you keep handles on, you will find the number of files you can keep in a manageable fashion will be a bit limited esp if you want to keep all the handles at the same end. The handles become the controlling factor in terms of size and awkwardness when rolled up...if one does the quick math...flat files of three "cuts" and two lengths say, same for triangular and same for round...the handle end of such a roll will already be way larger than the opposite end...let alone, if like me, there are square and half round to accommodate as well...I'm to the stage where flat will get their own, and everything else will go in one and even then, the really small stuff or specialized stuff ("knife") gets its own slotted base in a drawer as for me the smallest stuff is too delicate for a roll
    Last edited by RussZHC; 12-24-2011, 10:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• atomicjoe23
    replied
    Originally posted by GNO
    old bicycle inner tubes cut to fit work well, ask at a bicycle repair shop!
    Using tubing would be a pretty darn cheap way to keep the teeth of the files protected. . .

. . .good suggestion!

Leave a comment:

• GNO
    replied
    old bicycle inner tubes cut to fit work well, ask at a bicycle repair shop!

Leave a comment:

• atomicjoe23
    replied
    I don't keep handles permanently on my files, but that's becuase I made two handles out of delrin for my full-size files and needle files respectively. . .

. . .I was gonna post pic's of them, but I guess I've never got around to taking pictures of them.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    (Good topic)
    What about the handles? I assume when stored in the rolled fabric, they're without any handles. Or is the roll big enough to accomodate the handles too?

I don't have lots of files, but most of mine have handles living on them fulltime. Am I unusual in that regard? Do most of you just put a handle on as you use them?

Some of my handles are factory made for the purpose, i.e. Lutz, but some are just miscellaneous pieces of wood I've adapted for that purpose. ...mainly small sections of crape myrtle shrubs, which makes great handles, or small hickory or fruit tree branches.

Actually for the needle files I don't keep a handle on permanently, but rather mount one dedicated handle used solely for those.

I'd like to make a rack, but misc "stuff" and pegboard mounts pretty much use up every inch of my wall space.

Leave a comment:

• atomicjoe23
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldbrock
    If you can't do it yourself, find an upholstery shop and have them use a 24" piece of heavy canvas, fold it to 11 and 13" and double sew slots across to form pockets. Make it as long as you have files and then some. This will roll up and keep them from touching. Mark file type on each pocket with a Sharpie. Works for me. Peter

I really like the roll idea. . .that's what I was leaning toward in the first place, but I don't have a sewing machine.

My friends girlfriend has one though. . .although I would rather make one out of lightweight leather than fabric, but a waxed canvas cloth would be my second choice.

Thanks for the suggestions. . .

. . .I thought about the wooden block with holes drilled in it for the needle files as well.

Leave a comment:

• Oldbrock
    replied
    If you can't do it yourself, find an upholstery shop and have them use a 24" piece of heavy canvas, fold it to 11 and 13" and double sew slots across to form pockets. Make it as long as you have files and then some. This will roll up and keep them from touching. Mark file type on each pocket with a Sharpie. Works for me. Peter

Leave a comment:

• lane
    replied
    I made some little plywood stands with slots in them to hang the files in so they want hit each other . New spars files are wraped in paper towels and stored in my tool box. Needle files are stored in a wood block drilled with lots of holes for the handle to stick in.

Leave a comment:

• Grind Hard
    replied
    I use an external hard-drive --- OH NOT WHAT YOU MEAN...

I lay each one out on a felt pad, with a small piece of wood between them. One compartment of my toolbox is just files. 36 of them.

Leave a comment:

• Convenient and portable file storage solution???

How do you guys store your files???

Right now I have most of my files in a green cloth mechanic's bag and I know that it's not the best way to store them. . .now how much damage is actually being done to the files or how much it is affecting the quality of work they turn out or shortens their lifetime is up for debate, but I would like a better way to store them. The cost of quality files alone is reason enough to store them in the most protective manner feasible.

So, do any of you guys have a good method of storing your files that is still pretty portable.

Thanks!
Working...
X