Yearly electric bill for my shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasquatch
    Here,s what we pay based on the utility sheet, broken down for certain time usage:

On peak price=10.7 cents per killowatt

mid peak price=8.9 cents per K

Off peak price=5.9 cents per K

(Off peak is from 7pm untill 7Am Weekdays.)

Weekends run on the cheapest off peak price from midnight untill 12 noon the next day.

Hope i have that correct.
    Not quite, now add in the

transportation costs

debt retirement cost

the lets build more over priced windmills cost

taxes

And a couple of others cost that I can't remember there names

And the true cost here is between .40 and .50/KW and there going to raise it 6% a year for the next several years to pay for more "green" crap. Trust me when I say that putting in CFL bulbs and using off peak rates really doesn't help that much.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I just did a three month job at a windmill farm in Mojave Ca.
      Had to go through employee orientation with every company involved.

Got to the main contractor orientation and watched a video from the ceo .
      His first words were"I don't care about production,safety is our main goal."

My first thought " We are on government welfare".

We all know that without production we are out of business.
      Sure,you rate safety as high as you can,but"I don't care about production"?

And with thousands of windmills only twenty miles from my house,the rates just keep going up and up.

Comment

I think you took him too literally Miner. Don't you suppose he was trying to let the employee's know he was concerned for their safety first. Reverse the context and see how that reads!!! I don't give damn about your safety get the job done and get out! Na not so politically correct. Maybe he really isn't so concerned with safety but he has to say that to the employee's don't you think?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I am going to have to agree with miner.. that really sets a bad example.
          "Safty first, Production second" is a much better motto, as it implys both are important (Because they are..), but safty is number one.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Totally off topic, but I'd not be able to run a business that had an 'acceptable number of maiming per year'. I know there are businesses that can't help it, but I would find it hard to stomach.

I've worked at several large companies where the motto was roughly equivalent to "No job is so important, no service is so urgent, that we cannot take the time to perform our work safely". That was actually the Bell Telephone safety motto.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Injuries are common in the forestry business. Tree faller is one of the most dangerous jobs there is. Working in a sawmill or plywood mill is also dangerous. Mining is up there too. We have all of these as the primary employment here and the parking lots have a big sign with with changeable number cards to show number of days worked since last lost time injury.

Some jobs are inherently dangerous no matter what safety precautions are in place. Trees fall unpredictably, pit walls collapse and head saws hit rocks in trees.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Loose Nut your'e correct about the additional charges, i didn,t include them as i was posting just the Killowatt per hour charge, as i thought that was the discussion here.

Yes those extra charges are a severe PITA!!

By the way--Did you hear that the debt retirement deal was cleaned up a few months ago,, BUT the pot lickers are still adding it on to power bills?

This was mentioned in the news cast,, but,, as usual haven,t heard anything since!!

(The transmission charges are at least 50% of the power bills here.)

Comment

Black Forest- That's a very interesting shop building. It appears to have been built as a barn originally. Were those angled timbers there originally, or put in later to keep the walls from spreading due to the roof forces on the outer walls? In any case, a nice, roomy, and historic looking shop building !

Comment

Originally posted by Bill736
                    Black Forest- That's a very interesting shop building. It appears to have been built as a barn originally. Were those angled timbers there originally, or put in later to keep the walls from spreading due to the roof forces on the outer walls? In any case, a nice, roomy, and historic looking shop building !

It is still a barn! It is part of my hay storage barn on the second floor. Those braces are original and I think they are to support the roof mid way. The house is nearly three hundred years old. I store some hay and straw on the other end of the barn.

There is a loose hay fork that runs the entire length of the peak of the barn. It has a electric motor that runs the winch that raises and lowers the fork.
                    Last edited by Black Forest; 12-27-2011, 12:57 AM.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

300 years old in Germany is practically brand new.

One Gasthaus we stayed at was built around 950, originally a stable and later converted to a Gasthaus only about 700 to 500 years ago. In Germany they build to last. We were asked more than once if we really lived in wooden houses. That is considered temporary or emergency housing. I explained that on the west coast of North America it's the stone houses that are temporary. They only last to the next earthquake.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

You are right Evan. The one thing I don't like about our house is that some of the doorways are quite low. Three hundred years ago I think people were not so tall as me! There are some doorways I have to stoop a little to go through. When we remodled the inside of the house we could not change a few of the doorways because of structual reasons. Meaning three foot stone walls!

Comment

Working...
                        X