Leblonde 15X50 weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leblonde 15X50 weight?

I've been drooling over an old (from the 50's) 15X50 Leblond...tryin to figure a place to put it and figure how I'd load/unload it from my flatdeck.
    Any idea how much these weigh? The pics I got...it looks pretty massive.
    Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

I just bought a '50s era 17x60,pics are posted & found the weights some where & thought it weighed about 4000#+. Yours will be lighter. Mine also has a cabinet base under both ends instead of one & legs under the tail. I do not recomend this but they loaded it with forklift forks under the chip pan & I unloaded it the same way just picked it up a few inches & pulled the pickup out from under it & set it down. I would sling it if I were you. Great old lathes. Please post pics & if you need a manual PM you e-mail. Also the serial number is stamped on the flat part of the ways near or under the tailstock. Thanks! Eric
    Last edited by flylo; 12-25-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Its not quite the same but my old Monarch 16X54 weighed more than 5,000#.

Comment

flylo...this one has heavy looking cabinet bases under both ends as well. The bed alone looks about 10" or maybe more deep. Very heavy looking lathe.

Comment

Is it the same basic design from the ones near the bottom of this page?

http://www.lathes.co.uk/regal/page3.html
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If it's the one up by me that one has been advertised for a loooong time and can't help but wonder why? I could go have a look for you if you've spoken with the owner and are really interested?
            Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Darrin...thanks for the link. Never thought of Tony's page... found the model...it's a "Dual Drive"
              No mention of a lathe this size but the short bed (30") weighs 2500lbs. It does say that the bed is very heavy on these. Hmmm...there's some differences in way configuration however...one is better than the other???
              Have to ask some more qhestions...it's an 11 hour drive to look at it...
              Russ

Comment

Originally posted by hardtail
                If it's the one up by me that one has been advertised for a loooong time and can't help but wonder why? I could go have a look for you if you've spoken with the owner and are really interested?
                Lance...I bet that's the one. I may get you to have a look after he asnwers a few more questions. Thanks bud!
                Russ

Comment

I really like mine. The 17" is the smallest of the larger Regal series 17-19-21-23 & 25" I believe & has the same speed dial as the one on the UK site only looks in better shape & mine has 17" cast into the head. Also there is a yahoo Leblond forum which has the link to how to run a regal all 89 pages of it. It was under power & working fine but I plan on changing the oil & adjusting anything needed. To be an old lathe it seems quite tight. I'm really glad to get it. Good Luck I hope it turns out to be a good one.

Comment

Question. I've noticed some older lathes go by bed length not length between the centers like they do now. Mine is aprox 60" between the chuck & tailstock so is calling it a 17x60 correct?

Comment

Have no idea about the weight, but a friend of mine also has the 17x60.

I got the serial # from it and emailed Leblond for him and they sent back that his lathe was shipped from the factory in 1910.

If you have the serial # it,s interesting to find out the age.

Sorry i no longer have their email, but googling brought it up i think.

Comment

The years are also on the Yahoo forum. I could not find the number. I think the bed was reground but did talk to Leblond, he thought late '50s & found out it takes plain 30 wt non detergent oil(mineral oil)& a lot of it,9 Qts in the head if I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo
                          Question. I've noticed some older lathes go by bed length not length between the centers like they do now. Mine is aprox 60" between the chuck & tailstock so is calling it a 17x60 correct?
                          Remove the chuck and measure with centers in, Usally the chuck takes away another 4" or so at least.

But at 60", Another 4 is just bragging rights
                          And maybe a little OCD candy for those who like binary. (its a 16x64!)
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I think my Regal is a 19X54, made in 1949. The pictures on Tony's site could be of mine.

I love it, but it has 2 drawbacks: it has a threaded spindle, and top speed is only 425 RPM. OTOH:, the slow speeds are 20, 30, and 45 RPM, so threading to a shoulder is easy.

No idea of the weight, sorry. If I was going to haul it very far and had to unload it without a hoist or forklift, I'd strongly consider bolting 2, 4X4's about 4' long across both ends, then bolt 2 long 4X4's to those, going lengthwise. That would make the lathe a lot less tippy and give you something to put rollers under. If you can't get good oak 4X4's, you should probably go to 4X6's or 6X6's for the long pieces.

Comment

Russ purge some PM's, got a message for ya........
                              Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Working...
                              X