Looking for 7/32 tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 7/32 tap

My wife gave me an antique tap and die set for Christmas. All the small taps are fractional. Unfortunately, the 7/32"-24 tap is broke. Does anyone have one to sell or trade for a 7/32-32 ?

I have one, but I'm hanging on to it for dear life, every once in a while I encounter an older (pre 1898) firearm that comes in for repair that has a 7/32 screw in it. I also have the die for it thankfully.

BUT, I can tell you where I got mine, and for $9.50 plus shipping, they will sell you one too!

Victor Machinery Exchange, here's a link to the page with that tap on it.

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartme...-1-2/1260.html
    Steve
    NRA Life Member

Comment

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartme...-1-2/1260.html

Comment

Thanks for the link. I am hoping to find a vintage tap to match the set.

Comment

I THINK that the 7/32"-24 tap was renamed #12-24. If not, then it is AWFUL close!
          Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

7/32 x 24 is a standard Whitworth tap.
            Tel

Comment

If I did the calculation correctly, a #12 is 0.2160" in diameter. 7/32" is 0.21875". Different by 0.00275". Close, but still different enough to be different.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I appreciate all the replies, but you are all missing the original point.
                I want to make an antique tap and die set complete. I know I can get #12 taps, I have a box full. I know I can get a new 7/32"-24 tap. I would like to find a vintage (USA Made) 7/32"-24 tap to complete the set. In case trading is on the table I have a bunch of 7/32-32

Comment

Originally posted by Tel
                  7/32 x 24 is a standard Whitworth tap.
                  Whitworth and SAE are different threadforms.

Comment

Yes, I realise that, but no mention has been made of the thread form, just the diameter and pitch.
                    Tel

Comment

Originally posted by Bmyers
                      I appreciate all the replies, but you are all missing the original point.
                      I want to make an antique tap and die set complete. I know I can get #12 taps, I have a box full. I know I can get a new 7/32"-24 tap. I would like to find a vintage (USA Made) 7/32"-24 tap to complete the set. In case trading is on the table I have a bunch of 7/32-32
                      Perhaps a pic of one of the set will give us a lead on the style you are looking for?
                      Tel

Comment

Originally posted by Tel
                        Yes, I realise that, but no mention has been made of the thread form, just the diameter and pitch.
                        Don't know 'bout you, but Bmeyer lives in the USA and so do I. Logical conclusion is that he didn't get an antique/vintage/old Whitworth tap and die set for Christmas.

Comment

Feeling stupid for not doing this to start with

Pics:

Comment

Ah, the dreaded "NS"--National Special Haha. An odd one by definition.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P
                              Don't know 'bout you, but Bmeyer lives in the USA and so do I. Logical conclusion is that he didn't get an antique/vintage/old Whitworth tap and die set for Christmas.
                              You might know that but some of us don't, no location given top right not even continent.

Steve Larner

Comment

Working...
                              X